NUMBER SEVEN

If you'd have asked me whether London Grammar's sophomore album would make it onto my top albums of the year list at the beginning of the year, I wouldn't have been so sure. However, the more I've listened to it, the more that any feelings of doubt evaporated. Here we are now at number 7 with London Grammar's Truth Is A Beautiful Thing.

I always talk about how tough it can be to make a sophomore album after having a strong debut, but London Grammar have completely knocked it out of the park. As a whole, the record's song-writing is very very solid, however I have to admit; it was Hannah's voice that stole the whole entire show on this one for me. Phenomenal. Something that I've been thinking about a lot recently is how a lot of "here-and-now" artists don't have voices that stand out or are distinctive. Voices that you can hear on a track and know immediately who it is (Disclaimer: this doesn't refer to artists whom have been around for ages and are still around today). Hannah Reid's voice is nothing of the sort. The Truth Is A Beautiful Thing shows a confident vocal performance throughout that is both striking and memorable.

My favourites at the moment "Everyone Else", "Oh Woman Oh Man", "Leave The War With Me" "Hell To The Liars" and "Control". I chose a couple extra tracks there because there's a lot to choose from on the Deluxe Edition - all great but these are the ones that I regularly find myself going back to. After finding out about them through their first EP Metal & Dust in 2013, I wasn't too sure what direction things would go for them moving forward. However, this album has left any of my feelings of doubt in the back burner. Great addition to a year of many, many fantastic albums.

Here's what I had to say about my number seven pick from 2016. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment