NUMBER SEVENTEEN

This was a little bit of a late discovery for me this year, but better late than never because this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard all year. Swimming in at number 17 in the list is Moses Sumney with Aromanticism.

The first thing that I heard about Moses actually wasn't really to do with his music. A friend of mine told me about him after bumping into him at an event and being caught up by his presence, understandably. After a bit of googling and youtubing I stumbled on this video of Moses performing at Sofar a couple of years ago, and I've been keeping track ever since. 

One of my biggest praise points and my smallest criticisms of this debut is the conscious choice to go it alone. Moses has a lot of big musical connections that he could have had feature on these tracks (e.g. Solange, Kelela, Kindness, Dev Hynes, etc...). I would have really loved to hear Lianne La Havas somewhere on this record; I could've even seen Thom Yorke lending his hand on a couple of tracks on here. One of my favourite things about music is how collaborative it can be. However, Moses forgoes all of this on the debut and in doing so, gives us the rawest version of his musical sound. One of the bravest things to do as an artist is to put out work that holds a piece of you, and Moses has done so big time, with nothing to hide behind and it's come out beautifully.

My favourites on the album so far are "Don't Bother Calling", "Quarrel", and "Lonely World". It wasn't until second or third listen that I realised that quite a lot of this album is instrumental. As cheesy as it'll sound, the music speaks so loud, the whole album could've been instrumental and it still would have made me feel how I do listening to it now. All I want for 2018 is to see this performed live.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment