VIDEO PREMIERE: Gionvanni

Since her debut album HEAVN last year (one of my albums of the year), Jamila Woods was a little bit quiet after the tour run and I honestly didn't expect anything new from her so soon. In the past I've described listening to Jamila's music as a form of self-care and so when this thumbnail popped up on my YouTube homepage I couldn't have clicked it faster.



This visual is simply stunning. I had to watch it twice back-to-back just to catch some of the nuances that I was sure that I'd missed. The various sets and LOOKS came together beautifully wrapped around snippets of commentary from empowered yet everyday Black wxmen. The mantra (adapted from Nikki Giovanni's piece - 'Ego Tripping') "there must be a reason why" comes at a time when we're closing in on the end of a confusing and uncertain year and leaves a dim glimmer of hope and purpose for the months to come. Jamila continues to make art that not only represents her, her life's inspirations and how she feels but also that resonates with most of those listening.  In a world that oftentimes makes it challenging to do so, Jamila consistently makes me feel, from my head to my toes, proud to be a Black wxman. She couldn't have picked a more crucial time to bring new music into my life.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment