Under The Radar: TOP TEN

Just a couple of days away from counting down my choices for 2018's Albums of the Year. As with last year, this will be in the form of Top 30 - recapping an album a day, for 30 days. However, each year there are so many contenders; so many albums that don't make the cut and so many that I haven't even had the chance to listen to yet. So I've enlisted the help of fellow music nerd and intricate story-weaver, Leo (@ksulr_93) for some insight into some of the albums that may have slipped under my radar this year.

Autumn rolled through and cuffing season began. The airwaves were active and the waffle commenced. Conversations were in full effect and one of these centred on the reason you’re here, music. In particular, hidden gems - both frisbeeing albums back and forth between one another. I was discovering albums from artists I didn’t know had released projects this year and artists I had never heard of. 

PATRICK PAIGE II – Letters of Irrelevance
For sure, Patrick is someone you’ve heard of even if you haven’t realised it. The bassist from The Internet follows up the line of solo projects released with his own Letters of Irrelevance. An extremely personal album with lyrics such as ‘Decided to write a verse cause I don’t know how to communicate’ encapsulating the mood of the project. If like me, you want to hear the vibrations of a bass guitar whilst scribbling notes at 2am then you should check it out. 


BAKAR – BADKID
You know when you meet a new person and then keep bumping into them wherever you go, that’s Bakar. Staggering home from the gym after a heavy legs sessions my limbs were instantly rejuvenated by his genre fluid sounds. Incorporating pieces from Indie Rock to Hip Hop and blending storytelling raps over Punk Rock guitars, Bakar may be the most authentic artist of 2018. 


JEAN GRAE AND QUELLE CHRIS – Everything’s Fine 
How often have you responded with "Everything’s fine" or something of a similar vein to the dreaded "How's life?" question? Sometimes it’s easier to speak these two simple words rather than go into the depths of what you’re dealing with. Other times it’s best to just stick some headphones in and listen to some new sounds. Incorporating satire and sombre lyrics whilst harnessing hip hop let this be your therapy. 


JPEGMAFIA – Veteran
Confrontational, from the subject matter to the glitchy beats and antagonistic tone, this project is full of hostility. With beat switches and transitions from rap to singing that will keep you on your toes throughout, and moments of reflection. Expect an unpredictable experience. At times I love this album and at times I can’t get through the first few tracks, regardless this is one you definitely should not miss out on.


HERMIT AND THE RECLUSE – Orpheus vs The Sirens
2018 was the year that saw the return of God of War. Re-Playing through the early releases I rediscovered my love for mythology. Fast forward and enters Orpheus vs The Sirens. Rapper, Firefighter and now Historian, Ka uses Greek mythology to chronicle his own story. If you’re a fan of methodical storytelling and intricate lyrics I highly recommend checking out this project. 


SMERZ – Have Fun
Distorted vocals over electronic beats act as passage into a realm of tranquillity. A different range of styles and tempo allowing each song to have its own identity whilst layering to create a cohesive structure. All that said, check the project out if you want to zone out for 24 minutes. 


BERNICE – Puff: In the air without a shape
Upon viewing the artwork for this project my mind was cast back to a rainy Sunday, monotonously flicking through Sky channels until my eyes widened and focused on colours I would later discover belonged to Studio Ghibli. These visuals were matched perfectly by smooth sounds with rough edges and vocals floating in and out of your subconscious. With brushes of Pop, Jazz and impulsive futuristic elements, be sure to check this one out.


OSHUN – Bittersweet Volume I
Welcome to the centre of the earth’ - I was hooked when I heard the opening lines of this project. However, I was not ready for what followed as the aggression came with the full force of Thor’s hammer and hurled me to the wall. Venturing further I was rewarded with an exchange of delicate introspective melodies and assertive self-assured bars. Bringing the best of Hip Hop and R&B I implore you to bless the soundwaves surrounding your eardrums and go listen.  


JERRY PAPER – Like A Baby
Lo-fi synth pop at its finest. Whilst listening, I imagine myself floating in a pool basking in the sun. Fully clothed in vibrant colours and arms stretched out. Not sure why, but that’s what comes to mind. I came across this album through Tyler, The Creator who posted it on his story, and if his clothing line had a soundtrack I imagine it would be this. Check it out if you’re in the mood for chilled vibes with meaningful themes. 

MURKAGE DAVE – Murkage Dave Changed My Life
Out of all the projects on this list, this is probably the one I’ve listened to the most and for good reason. With nostalgic beats and profound vocals the album tells the story of Murkage Dave in a stripped backed fashion we can all relate to. Touching on subjects from first world problems, missing someone but not telling them, and not leaving his job because he needs the money. This accurate reflection of the everyday person is not one to miss out on. 



Honourable Mentions:
ANKHLEJOHN – Van Ghost
Totally Mild – Her
Hippo Campus - Bambi

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment