Gig Review: The Story So Far

The Story So Far are a five-piece pop punk band from California signed by Pure Noise Records. I went to see them on Friday (02/11/12) at The Kasbah, Coventry with a close friend of mine. This was probably the most surprising gig that I've been to all year haha.

When I had a look on The Kasbah's website it had said that capacity in the venue was 1000+ and I'd seen a couple of pictures and the place looked pretty big but still quite intimate at the same time. We got there and we were put in a different part of The Kasbah and it's capacity must have been about 100 tops it was TINY. My friend and I were in complete shock. The stage was so tiny that they only needed one bodyguard in front of it catching all the crowd surfers. So that was the first surprise of the day.

Now on the line up, it had only mentioned one band - Gnarwolves and before this gig I had only heard one of their songs (Reaper) and so had no idea what the band would really look like. When we got there, a local band from Coventry turned out to be opening - I thought they were Gnarwolves until they said otherwise haha. They weren't the best band but they were energetic and they tried hard. I didn't actually catch their band name if they did mention it. The next band came and set up their own instruments and I thought that they must surely be Gnarwolves - but nay! it was another local band from Coventry! They were slightly better than the last and their drummer was on fire! Again I didn't really catch their name either.

Next up - the long awaited GNARWOLVES! For some reason I was really really expecting them to be American and so when they half way through their set said that they were from Brighton I was gobsmacked. They were very theatrical and "intense" but they had a good set :)

Then finally the main event - THE STORY SO FAR! It was crazy to be so so close to them, I was not actually expecting them to be that exposed to the crowd at all. Anyways, so I was expecting them to open with the first songs on the album 'States and Minds' and then 'Roam' - INSTEAD they opened with 'Swords and Pens'. Also, I expected them to close with the last song on the album 'Closure' but INSTEAD they closed with 'Quicksand'. Not complaining though, they absolutely smashed their set. The crowd was buzzing. The entire crowd of about 80 people seemed to know all the words to the songs and were all screaming the lyrics passionately for the whole set. Kids were jumping off of barriers, crowd surfing, moshing - just completely letting loose. Such an adrenaline packed show. TSSF managed to get through their whole album and even dropped in a couple of new songs!

The security and set was so chilled that at the end everyone was just walking on stage and chatting to the band. So of course I took my chance and hopped on stage to let the band know they'd smashed it and obviously to grab a cheeky hug from Parker Cannon. This gig was nowhere near what I expected but it exceeded my expectations nonetheless.  TOP QUALITY GIG.

Overall rating - 8/10


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment