Album Review: Arc

Everything Everything recently released their second album "Arc". They'd been causing a huge stir prior to it's release and so there was a lot of hype surrounding it. After listening, I can happily say, the hype was deserved. Arc is not without it's flaws, however, it is still of such high quality and is definitely a good record to start 2013 with. On to the track list...

1. Cough Cough - My personal favourite track on the album. One of the most unique tracks I have heard in a looong time. I love the concept. The bass on this track is crazy good! Not heard any indie music go this way in faaar to long. So refreshing to have such a new take on the "Indie Rock/Pop" scene.

2. Kemosabe - This song probably got a lot more airtime than "Cough Cough" actually. It is another fantastic track (this album has "strong start, strong finish" syndrome*). The chorus is literally so contagiously happy, even though most people have no idea what is said in the chorus, you just have to belt it out and sing along. WARNING: EXTREMELY CATCHY.

3. Torso Of The Week - The most surprising track on the record. I wasn't expecting it to sound anything like it did. So many twists and turns in just one song and I loved each and every one of them. After the opening verse when the lyrics are "Coiled heart, eyetoothed, feral child. Take me dancing in the wild" this was such an abrupt key change and at first I was like "huh??" but as it went on all I could think was "genius".

4. Duet - Not the most memorable track on the album. Easy listening though. Very well produced.

5. Choice Mountain - LOVE the intro to this. Kind of oriental and then straight in with some grimey bass. So many levels on this song - good track.

6. Feet For Hands - The harmonies in this song - YES. This is a great walking song FYI. Yeah, I really enjoyed this song on first listen.

7. Undrowned - Didn't really like this song. I'm still not too keen on it but I wouldn't say it was a bad song. But so far, it's had the least plays.

8. _Arc_ - As a title track, I don't think it was the best song to choose to represent the album but it holds it's own and it's just really nice and chilled to listen to. Nice little break between the first and second half of the album.

9. Armourland - Really like the beat to this song. Not the most catchy song on the album but definitely something that you'll enjoy listening to. Another song that shows off how well produced the album is.

10. The House Is Dust - Really slowed down. Good indication that the album is getting ready to wind down. Something about this song reminds me a bit of Alt-J, so that's always a good thing. :)

11. Radiant - Lyrically really nice - I like the song and the way the words flow. Not the most memorable song but whenever I listen to it I'm like - YES!

12. The Peaks - This song and the next song are the things that brought the album up by miles. This song is sung so beautifully. Just the right amount of music in the background. Very ambient. I love love LOVE the harmonies that occur around the 3:30 mark. Absolutely brilliant.

13. Don't Try - Great way to end the album. Another one of my favourites. Quite an infectious beat. Another extremely catchy song BEWARE. This song will definitely have you feeling good after listening to the album.

All in all "Arc" is a top notch album. I do however, think that their debut album "Man Alive" is slightly better - would definitely recommend giving that a listen. Overall, I would rate the album 7.5/10. I would LOVE to see them live some time this year, but until then, I look forward to hearing more of their stuff.

*strong start, strong finish syndrome (SSSF) is when albums have a really good set of first few and last few songs and then most of the songs in between are just filler songs in comparison. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment