Underrated/Overrated (Part Three)

Before I start part three in the "Underrated/Overrated" series, have a read of part two here so that you're clued up on what I'm actually doing. If you've already read it, here's the next two records....

UNDERRATED ALBUM 

GALLOWS - Gallows
After having to replace former front-man Frank Carter with Wade MacNeil after he went on to form a new band called Pure Love, talk of Gallows started to die down. I saw them at Reading last year with Wade fronting and they sounded just as powerful as when Frank was around but they didn't quite draw a huge crowd. So when they released this self-titled record last year with Wade on vocals, I didn't hear a lot about it. Nonetheless, I got it and it's actually really really good! There are a lot of huge tracks on there and it definitely should have had way more appreciation. My favourites from the record were "Outsider Art", "Austere", "Victim Culture" and "Last June"....



OVERRATED ALBUM

ENTER SHIKARI - A Flash Flood Of Colour
This album got a ridiculous amount of hype. Everyone was excited to get this record and I can't even lie, I was keen to get this album straight after it came out, but I think that given all the hype it got and given how different their previous two albums are - it really disappointed me. The whole record just sounds confused. None of the tracks sound like they were put into place, literally, it sounds like they just recorded a bunch of demos and slapped them on the track list until they had an album's worth of songs. I feel they may have rushed this record a bit and when Kerrang! Magazine voted it album of the year last year I was actually astounded. Each to their own I suppose, but in my opinion, this record is definitely not deserving of such status. However, there were a few songs I liked on the album - "Search Party", "Stalemate" and "Arguing With Thermometers"...


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment