MUSTS IN AUGUST

If I'm honest, July wasn't as great for albums as I wanted it to be. The stand-out records were probably "Magna Carta... Holy Grail" and "The Weight Of Your Love". These two records were both quality but I hope that August brings a few more top quality records. Here are some of the exciting records coming up this month...



THE CIVIL WARS - THE CIVIL WARS
I've actually not heard a whole lot of The Civil Wars' material before but I'd been hearing the name being thrown about a lot so I thought I'd check them out... I was impressed. It's not easy to have the whole "male/female co-lead singer" thing work so well in alternative music but they've done it brilliantly. Here's the first single I heard of theirs, the record comes out on the 5th of August.




ASKING ALEXANDRIA - FROM DEATH TO DESTINY
Now, I'm still a little conflicted about writing about this on my blog to be honest but I've listened to a bit of Asking Alexandria's newer stuff and it's not actually too bad. For example, this song. So I'm definitely willing to give this new record a chance when it drops on the 6th of August.






WHITE LIES - BIG TV
Another album that I've seen advertised quite a bit. Initially, I used to get them and White Denim confused quite a bit, simply because of the name, but despite the confusion White Lies are a quality Indie/Electronic band and I'm really looking forward to their record on the 12th of August. Have a quick listen to what you'll hear on the record, here





BLOC PARTY - THE NEXTWAVE SESSIONS EP
Given my new found love for Bloc Party, I'm super stoked to hear that they're releasing new material. Even if it is just an EP I can count on quality whether it be one song or eight, Bloc Party are just an absolutely fantastic band. Looking forward to this hitting the shelves on the 12th of August.





DRENGE - DRENGE
GEM OF THE MONTH - THIS is the album that I have the highest hopes for this month. People have been throwing around the phrase "Palma Violets are the most exciting band around at the moment" well those people obviously haven't listened to Drenge yet. These two brothers are a huge talent and a force to be reckoned with. If you do anything this month, get your hands on this album on the 19th of August.





JOHN MAYER - PARADISE VALLEY
I loved John Mayer's previous record Born and Raised and so I'm excited to see what he has in store for us in this new record. I've been needing something more chilled to listen to recently and I think that this may just do the job. So stoked to pick up the album on the 20th of August.






AVENGED SEVENFOLD - HAIL TO THE KING
Now the more recent Avenged Sevenfold stuff is definitely without question nowhere near the standard of their City Of Evil or Waking The Dead material but I've given them this album to convince me that they're still worth listening to. I have no doubt that there'll be a few great tunes on there but I just want the record to impress me as a whole when it comes out on the 23rd of August.





ELLIE GOULDING - HALCYON DAYS
I didn't actually listen to the whole of her last record but I heard a lot of great stuff about it. I don't think that I could handle an entire album of Ellie Goulding's flighty/fairy-like voice but a track here and there might just be okay. I'll have to wait and see on the 26th of August.




A few other albums that'll be available in August are 'King Krule - 6 Feet Beneath The Moon', 'Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action', 'Swim Deep - Where The Heaven Are We?', 'Belle & Sebastian - The Third Eye Centre', 'Big Sean - Hall Of Fame', 'Earl Sweatshirt - Doris', 'Pond - Hobo Rocket' and 'No Age - An Object'. If any of these caught your eye, feel free to pick them up at some point this month.

Have a happy August! :)

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment