Gig Review: Accidents Will Happen

A pretty belated gig review but here goes... On the 8th of January I went to see Fallow Fields play a gig supporting Accidents Will Happen at Camden Barfly. Didn't expect much other a night of pop punk. Here's what I got...

The first band on were called The City Is Ours, a female fronted pop rock band (as was basically the theme of the night). They played an alright set - as instrumentalists they were really good but the lead let them down a little bit. She seemed kind of nervous which just affected her vocals and her stage presence but she tried. I really liked their unexpected cover of Labrinth's "Earthquake" - was a total shock and I must admit I loved hearing a pop rock band play it.

Next up were the only male fronted band of the night - City Of Ashes. It was obvious that they had a few fans supporting them that night but it was perhaps one of the most unsettling sets I've seen in a while. It was like a pop punk version of Disney's 'Frozen'. The vocalist moved and sounded like a broadway singer that decided to go pop punk. The instrumentals to the songs weren't amazing either, the instrumentalists however were great. A lot of the set seemed forced though, the lead was whipping out a lot of Oli Sykes' stage moves - I think this is a band I'd definitely prefer on record than live.

After a while Fallow Fields hopped on stage for what was definitely the easiest set of the night to enjoy. Great stage presence from not just the lead but each member, individually and collectively made it look like such an effortless set. Surprisingly they drew the biggest crowd of the night (even bigger than the headliners) and well, they smashed it. High energy set with an equally high spirited crowd - what more could you ask for really?

Lastly, the headliners - Accidents Will Happen, female fronted of course but not your typical female fronted pop punk band. The lead, every time she spoke sounded so much like a mum, I'm not sure whether it was endearing or just misplaced but either way I couldn't get past it. The band as a whole were really tight and kept the set flowing well. They ended with another unexpected cover - Lil' Wayne's "Lollipop". Even though we'd already had one cover from The City Is Ours, this still completely caught me off guard - but yet again, I loved it. Solid set and good ending.

Great night all in all and I'm a sucker for gigs at Barfly especially when surrounded by such great people but musically it left me wanting a little bit and for this reason...

Overall rating - 6.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night....

Displaying image.jpeg 

Displaying image.jpeg 

Displaying image.jpeg

Displaying image.jpeg


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment