BRITS Reactions

When it comes to awards ceremonies, I'm always going to have my qualms and as always this year's BRIT Awards is no exception. Overall, I could understand most of the outcomes but for those of you who don't yet know any of them, here you go...

British Male Solo Artist - David Bowie
British Female Solo Artist - Ellie Goulding
British Group - Arctic Monkeys
British Breakthrough Act - Bastille
British Single - "Waiting All Night" by Rudimental ft. Ella Eyre
British Album Of The Year - AM by Arctic Monkeys
Best Video – One Direction
International Male Solo Artist - Bruno Mars
International Female Solo Artist - Lorde
International Group - Daft Punk
Global Success - One Direction
Critics' Choice - Sam Smith
British Producer Of The Year - Flood & Alan Moulder

The fact that David Bowie rightfully came out on top in the "British Male Solo Artist" category had me feeling hopeful for the female category... I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up so quickly. The fact that Ellie Goulding's flighty and shaky voice beat out vocal powerhouses like Jessie J, Laura Marling and Laura Mvula... well.

As expected Arctic Monkeys picked up "British Group" - no objections here. I was deeply upset that Bastille went on to get "British Breakthrough Act" over Disclosure and Laura Mvula. I find Bastille terribly generic and plain annoying. I suppose that I shouldn't have been surprised but I was still disappointed.

I knew that Arctic Monkeys would pick up "British Album" but I really wouldn't have chosen them. I did like AM but not as much as Rudimental's record Home. Either way, One Direction had to pick up an award for something so I wasn't too fussed about "Best Video". With "International Male Solo Artist" I feel like it should've been Justin Timberlake but all of the nominees were great and so I'm not upset that Bruno took it home. I am however upset that Lorde got "International Female". Hugely overrated at the minute with that "Royals" song... Every single other nominee in that category had more of a reason to win it in my opinion, but that's just the way the cookie crumbled.

None of the other winners really phased me if I'm honest. All in all it was a good awards ceremony. Stand out performances from Arctic Monkeys, Disclosure and Beyonce. Until next year...



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment