Gig Review: Jungle

When I first started listening to these two it was because I'd heard a lot of hype about their song "Platoon" and how they were the 'next big thing' so I decided to check them out. I've been listening out for them ever since. After the release of their latest single "Time" and their actual self titled debut album I knew that I had to see them live at some point. I was lucky enough to catch their set at Reading this year here but in my opinion it didn't compare to this headline show - they tore the place up! Let me start from the top...

As I entered, there was a dj duo on the decks whom I still assume were maybe a house dj of some sort but I didn't manage to catch their name. Their beats were heavy and full of bass which I liked. They both seemed pretty young, especially when one of the two stepped up to the mic to rap, but they had me bopping my head a stamping my foot at points, so overall I was pleased.

Then D.D Dumbo hopped on stage and things got a little more interesting. I have never seen one artist play a recorder, pan pipes, drums, a twelve string guitar and a loop pedal all in one set - huge kudos to him on that. I really loved some of his instrumentals and I found the whole set super creative. However, his voice didn't really do anything for me. It wasn't bad but I don't feel like there was anything striking or interesting about it. Bittersweet experience but an experience nonetheless.

The music during the interval was brilliant - it was nice to have some old school jams on before Jungle came and brought their modern day versions of it to the stage. And bring it they did! From the moment the lights dimmed 'til the last note rang out, they. did. not. STOP.  First things first, their lights were awesome  - for a fairly tiny stage they had one of the best backdrops I've seen of late, big or small. Then, proving that (almost) NO music sounds better when played without a full band, they, backed by their fantastic band, ripped into the opening song "Platoon" and it went off!! I was dancing from beginning to end. The two backing vocalists were also fabulous. I was loving the choreography that they whipped out throughout. One of my favourite (non-single) songs of the night was by far "Julia". That beat! "Son Of A Gun" also struck a chord with me. Jungle's music is just so funky that you can't help but move to it and I must've had whiplash by the end of this gig because I don't remember a point when I wasn't nodding my head.

As I said after seeing them at Reading - GREAT VIBES. It was a Monday evening and I was smiling and laughing as if everyday was Saturday. Brilliant show. Brilliant duo.

Overall Rating - 9/10


Here are some pictures from the night...




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment