Interview: Allusondrugs


This month Allusondrugs have been supporting Enter Shikari on 'The Mindsweep Tour' along side Feed The Rhino and Fatherson and so before their show at Wolverhampton Civic Hall, I got the chance to sit down and talk to Allusondrugs' frontman - Jason. As the tour came to an end last night in London, here's your chance to get a bit of an insight into the band that you're going to want to check out very, very soon...

There’s quite a diverse supporting line-up for this tour in terms of genre. If you were to make a side project that could be any other genre, which would you go for and why?


Ooh I don’t know! That’s a hard question. Maybe country music, just because I like singing. [laughs] I don’t know how to answer that question, I’ve never thought about it! Maybe like some Japanese folk or something! I’d have to learn Japanese though first. Maybe make some metal too.

I heard that you guys would be willing to play anywhere, even in somebody else’s kitchen?

Jason: Yeah

Drey: Sounds about right. [laughs]

Did you ever do the whole house party touring scene in the early days as a band?

Yeah we played a few people’s houses and stuff like that but it was mainly just shitty pubs. It’s not really a stage, it’s just like some speakers out of a living room for a PA like that sort of thing. It’s good like that but I prefer playing big stages really and proper venues because it all just sounds better and it’s a better experience for music, rather than just hearing something through crap speakers where you can’t hear the drummer properly and the bass. It’s alright, it’s fun! But I much prefer doing this now. If for some reason we’re not allowed to play on big stages anymore, I’ll have to play in fucking pubs again… Oh no! [mocks crying]

Connor once had to share an ambulance with a fan after a show?!

Yeah yeah!

Have the rest of you ever had any big show induced injuries?

Jason: Not like proper injuries. We might have hurt our brains a little bit just from drinking and stuff but I don’t know really. Has anybody injured themselves on tour Damo?

Damo: Not really. I mean, I’ve got arthritis so...

Jason: I’d say that’s a pretty good injury! [all laugh]

Last I read, you all still had full time jobs. Is that still true?

Um, no. None of us work now other than Connor but I think I’ve got a feeling that he did the last shift before we set off on this tour to be honest. We’re just gigging, all this month and next month and that month after as well. And starving too! We’ve got to keep gigging to eat.

The music scene in and around Leeds seems really strong right now. Are there any upcoming bands or artists that we should be keeping an ear out for?

Um yeah! Hardships! Treason Kings! There’s loads really! I’m not going to tell you too many though because I’ll forget somebody and then somebody will beat me up. So just search “bands in Leeds”. Google and you’ll be fine. Do it now. [laughs] Stop what you’re doing!

You once suggested that we start up an “Independent band or label week”.  If this were to actually take place, what are some of the independent bands or labels you’d like to see represented?

I don’t know really! It’d be weird for me to answer though because I don’t really listen to too much music that’s not old. Like, I’ve got friends in bands and I like their music but I don’t really listen to it on my own. You’ve got some difficult questions to answer! Things I should be thinking about and I haven’t really. [laughs]

For those who haven’t yet heard your EP, how would you describe Allusondrugs in three words?

Amazing. Jelly. Fun.

Since forming in 2012, you guys have come a long way, so where do you see yourselves in 2018?

I’m going to live in France, me. I’m going to earn loads of money and sell loads of records and buy a house in France and just become French and get really high all the time. [laughs] And I’ll build a studio and you can come and record if you like and make music; come and record with me! I’ll move my mum out there so she can get a nice tan.

You can keep up to date with Allusondrugs and their upcoming tour dates on their Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and website. And if you're still not convinced, check out their EP/singles on YouTube, Bandcamp, Soundcloud or Spotify.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment