Album Review: Be Careful Not To Stare

I wrote about The Bongo Club as a new discovery a couple of years ago here and I've been waiting patiently for them to blow up over here in The UK and I think that now is finally the time.Their debut album dropped on Sunday and I've been listening to it ever since! Here are some things I thought whilst listening through...


1. The Hush Hush Song
I wrote about this single here after the video came out. I must admit, I wasn't expecting it to be the first song on the album but no complaints here, it's still a cool and catchy tune.

2. High Horse
As soon as this track started playing I was bopping my head and smiling. I feel like this'll be the track that I overplay and go straight to from now on. Big tune! I love this song - can't wait to hear it live. It's simple but still entertaining... and that breakdown!!!

3. Turn Off The Lights
This is just an album full of singles - every one of these tracks is pretty much stand-alone. When I first listened to their music I thought they'd be "a band of the summer", one of those bands you'd only keep on your summer playlists but the more I listen to them, the more I just enjoy their music independent of the season.

4. I Don't Wanna Dance With Your Daughter
This is the belter - that chorus is huge. I can just imagine hundreds of people shouting this already. Again, it's not even the most complicated song it's just a lot of fun.

5. Get Myself Together
This was the next single after "The Hush Hush Song" and a great follow up in my opinion. I love the swagger that it has about it.

6. Who Are You To Say
This track can be played anywhere, from adverts to clothes shops to pubs. Great riffs, great lyrics and just a great sound. This is currently one of my favourite songs on the record. The breakdown at the end is awesome.

7. Lucy
From the title I kind of expected this song to be a little more like the ballad of the record... I was wrong. Keeping the pace going as well as the quality - strong song.

8. Hound 
When the song started I thought that it would be one of those songs at the end of a record that makes me feel like there's still another song coming afterwards but they ended it quite nicely and sealed off the album.


I could have done with a couple more songs on this album for sure but as far as debuts go, this is a good'un. The very consistent and strong set of songs - all killer, no filler. It's time for people to start taking notice. Stream the album on soundcloud or Spotify, purchase it on iTunes or simply head out to a live show when they have one on. Tell your friends, tell your enemies.

Overall Rating - 7/10

 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment