Gig Review: Marmozets

My third time seeing them live, but my first time seeing them headline... safe to say I was ecstatic. And to see them in such a small venue (600 capacity)! Buzzing! I had never heard of either of the support bands prior to the show so for the first time in a while I was solely there for the headliner.

First up was Thought Forms. They definitely weren't what I expected. I figured that they'd be of a similar genre to Marmozets but I was wrong. I'm still unsure about how I felt about them overall. I wouldn't say that they were boring but towards the end the atmospheric songs did begin to feel a little bit monotonous. They played about 4 songs during the set yet the songs managed to take up the entire 25 minutes. It was a shame for me because I really wanted to like them, from what I could tell they seemed like genuine lovers of music and just a cool bunch, but for some reason the set just didn't keep me interested. I feel like they'd be more enjoyable for me on record.

Steak Number Eight were more up my street though. From the first song to the last with their heavy, swampy riffs, the Belgian natives had me locked in. They actually picked up as the set went on, their tracks as well as their energy. I'm definitely going to need to do my research on this band because even though they had a set of strong songs, they didn't just rest on this and the fact that they weren't the ones headlining, they brought their best. By the last songs, the crowd was buzzing and more than ready for the main event....

I was expecting Marmozets to be amazing but I was still blown away, and not just by the band; the crowd was electric! From beginning to end the sold out venue screamed each of the band's lyrics at them with smiles on their faces. There couldn't have been a better vibe in the room. I have no idea what their homecoming show at Leeds the night before must have been like but if the crowd was any better than Birmingham their must have been a few tears of joy. Hearing that kind of response for a "new band" was just overwhelming. I had hoped that they would play "Broken Reflection" (BIG tune) but I was worried that not many people would know it but just as many people as were singing the album tracks, were singing along to this b-side. Every single body was 100% there for them that night and Marmozets gave 100% back. Despite it being the last show of the tour, they played like it was the first. I'd lost my voice pretty early on but I just had to keep screeching along, they were just so captivating (no pun intended)!! "Hit The Wave" was a personal highlight, that song just hits be right in the chest, but really the whole show was just stellar. To see my number one album of the 2014 performed live - honour and a privilege. This band will go very, very far!

Overall Rating - 8/10


Here are some pictures from the night...





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment