2015 Album Wishlist

Now, 2015 has been a pretty phenomenal year for new music - I'm sure I've still got a few albums to catch up on if I'm honest. However, there are some artists that I can't help but wish had released a record this year. There's always next year though!


DAUGHTER
It's been a couple of years since their debut If You Leave and I still listen to it on a very regular basis. Beginning to end, no matter the order, that record is stellar. Luckily, Daughter released a new single a couple of months ago here and if it's anything to go by, then their sophomore record out next year should have no problems making it onto my top albums of the year list - I just wish it'd come sooner, but suppose good things come to those who wait.

FRANK OCEAN
The king of procrastination himself. Frank had the whole world waiting for a new album this year around July and we're still all waiting - no news of a release date, time schedule, absolutely nothing. Channel Orange was a brilliant record and was maybe actually a little underrated as a whole piece but 3 years on - let's go Frank! I don't know when we'll get a second record but when we do, I'll be expecting very big things.

KANYE WEST
Speaking of procrastinators, here's another new record that I'd expected to hear around mid year and am still waiting (semi)patiently for. After the controversial Yeezus this new record was supposed to be a complete 180 and I was so ready for the differing views and undeniably brilliant tracks but instead we got a big bowl of nothing. Okay well, we got "All Day" but still - album in 2016 please.

RIHANNA
Continuing on the thread of artists who made us false promises this year, bad girl Rih Rih has been teasing us since the year began, with music videos, the absolute banger "Bitch Better Have My Money", album covers, and even album titles but still we've seen nothing. Still unsure of a release date at this point but with a tour already announced for next year, I'm sure we won't be waiting much longer.

THE NIGHT VI
To be honest, I've been waiting for this band to release an album since I first discovered them in 2013 here and last year seemed a little bit promising with new single releases and covers. We did get an EP this year to be fair so they didn't leave us with nothing but I just want a big breakout debut album that won't be able to hide under the radar. No signs of that happening anytime soon though so until then I guess I'll just keep listening to Maybe That's How I'm Feeling.

LAURA MVULA
Laura's been making new music ever since her debut record came out - we just haven't heard any of it yet. The only thing I'm worried about with her sophomore is that the same thing that happened to Alt-J and SBTRKT will happen. She was something so new and different when she debuted and now it might be too hard to keep a unique sound without overdoing it. Will just have to wait and see if she can prove this theory wrong.

HAIM
I feel like I haven't heard anything from Haim in the longest time! I know it's only been a couple of years but they blew up so quickly and had so many hits in such a short space of time that when they dropped off the scene to record new material, their absence was very noticeable. I wasn't their hugest fan but I liked what they were doing and a need them to come back and fill that Haim shaped hole in my life.

BALANCE AND COMPOSURE
After The Things We Think We're Missing in 2013 I've been waiting for any opportunity to see this band live. That record was some of the best pop rock I've heard in a while! Again, an album that return to frequently, so when rumours started coming up about them breaking up earlier this year I was pretty devastated. Thank God they later came out with a statement that they're not breaking up and they're actually recording new music - just wish it'd come out this year.

ARCANE ROOTS
Another cop out - they did release an EP earlier this year here and it was definitely good, but after the gold that was Blood & Chemistry I was hoping to get my hands on another musical masterpiece this year. Either way, now that the band are getting more and more recognition this might result in more music soon. I haven't heard anyone in the same space do it quite as well as them just yet.

CHARLOTTE OC
In fairness, I did only discover her last year but since discovering her music, she's blown up quite a bit and released quite a few new singles - only right for me to assume that a new album's on it's way right? Well I was mistaken. She did however (like most of the other artists on this list) release an EP earlier this year here - no signs of a debut record yet but I'll keep my fingers crossed.


 Merry Christmas Eve! Tomorrow we find out my top 10 albums of 2015...

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment