Underrated/Overrated

In an age where Kanye is still thriving after spouting a wide variety of outlandish and unfounded hot takes over the past few months, I feel like it may be time to bring back a series that I started five years ago - Underrated/Overrated. Quick recap for those who are just joining us, this is a series where I discuss two albums - one overrated, the other underrated - and explain my thoughts on them. I am not comparing the two or pitting them against one another, just letting you know my thoughts on them both. Disclaimers out of the way, here are the first two in the series...

UNDERRATED ALBUM

This artist is actually a relatively new discovery for me. Late last year I stumbled upon Tierra Whack's tune "MUMBO JUMBO" and it was cemented in my head solidly the whole week after first listen. I just couldn't get enough of it. So much so that I should really have had enough of it by now but here we are and I'm still upset it didn't make the cut on the debut album but that should say enough for the calibre of the rest of these tracks. Whack World a mere 15 minutes long - each track spanning one quick minute - gives you a brief but beautiful look into the colourful mind of Tierra Whack and 100% leaves you asking questions and wanting more. Tierra's definitely got a lot more eyes on her since the release, and the artistic and original visual below. Original is not a word I get to use so much anymore when describing music and Tierra's originality and authenticity were two of the first things that made me think of Whack World for this spot. Take 15 minutes out of your day to give this a spin.

 


OVERRATED ALBUM

Given that his name sparked the idea in my mind to bring this series back, I feel it only fitting that we give this first overrated album spot up to Kanye for his muddled - ye. Now, there will never be a day where Kanye badly produces an album, he's definitely amongst the upper echelon of producers of our time and I say that very confidently. However, lyrically, he's been touch-and-go ever since My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy if I'm honest, and since Yeezus if I'm generous. I think a lot of people have been fooled into thinking that this is a good album purely because of the quality of the production but please, do not be deceived... this album is a confused, throw up of thoughts and ideas with very little thought or feeling behind it. The people encouraging this album simply because it's 'controversial' or 'funny', again please please don't use these descriptors for reasons why it should be considered a genuinely good body of music. This record has only added to Kanye's descent into drivel. Going merely on the vein of instrumentals, I'd say my favourites from the short 7-track album are "Yikes", "Wouldn't Leave", and "All Mine". However, I doubt that I'll be listening back to this album much again.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment