2018 Best Of: Tiny Desk Concerts

Whilst I'm sure that large number of the internet would still be in agreement that Anderson .Paak holds the trophy for the greatest Tiny Desk Concert of all time; I must say that there have been a fair few contenders for the title this past year.


ERYKAH BADU 
The Queen of Neo-Soul back with a pretty rare performance. I have never seen Erykah play either "Rimshot" or "Green Eyes" live but to see them both back-to-back in such an intimate setting and hearing them fit together so seamlessly was quite emotional for me. She's always had a penchant for strong, emotive performances that come across relatively effortless, and this time was no different in that respect. However, something in her TDC broke through to me in a way that I find rarely happens via video alone. This stuck in my memory immediately when thinking of TDCs to choose.



DANIEL CAESAR
After listening to Freudian last year I could not get enough of Daniel Caesar's voice. Such a distinctive and soulful sound, and similarly to Erykah Badu he always makes it look so effortless. As he leans nonchalantly over the piano, singing a story that you can only assume is his own, however could speak towards generations, you can't help but be swallowed up by Daniel's presence. I'm yet to see him live but after this little snippet I can only imagine what a unique experience it must be.



GOLDLINK 
At What Cost was one of my Top 10 favourite albums last year and I absolutely loved what Goldlink's done with it here with a live band accompanying. A lot of the time with Tiny Desk Concerts, artists will opt to perform more stripped down versions of what they bring to their live shows. However, in this instance Goldlink has amped it up a little bit using a mixture of live instruments and backing vocalists, and has reworked the song arrangements to bring a completely new layer of depth to the album tracks. it gave the songs that I already love a new lease of life and it felt like one of the more original TDCs I've seen this year.






PJ MORTON
Okay well immediately when anybody brings a 10-piece string section with them to play a 3 song set in an office, you have to take notice. Now to have them play together as flawlessly and organically as they do; there's where they earn the accolades. This performance made me want to listen to his latest album Gumbo even before the first song was over. It's a crying shame that it took until this year for me to listen to PJ's brilliance but I'm here now and boy am I listening. It has a classic yet relevant feel to it, one that I know will resonate for years to come.




Having leaned more towards soulful concerts, special shoutouts must go to Dermot Kennedy, Julien Baker, August Greene, Haley Heynderickx, Jamila Woods, Lo MoonJorja Smith and Superorganism for their concerts. It's so clear that there is a staggering amount of talent that we have access to right now and it's growing by the minute.

In 2019, I would absolutely LOVE to see TDCs from Janelle Monaé, PVRIS, Maribou State, Skinny Pelembe and Ezra Collective. I suspect that we may see TDCs from Blood Orange/Dev Hynes, BROCKHAMPTON, Nao, Childish Gambino, RAY BLK and Florence + The Machine. Either way, if any one of these names was to pop up on my YouTube Recommendations list in the coming months, I will happily continue vouch that NPR's music curator is doing an absolutely stellar job. Alongside COLORS, NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts have been making it very easy for me to fall into the deepest holes of YouTube browsing. I pray that next year will be no different.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment