NUMBER EIGHT

If you had told me that this album was going to be in my Top 30, let alone Top 10, at the beginning of the year I would have laughed in your face. However, my eyes were opened this year and in at my number 8 spot is Ariana Grande with Sweetener.

My first brush with Ariana was in Victorious on Nickelodeon years ago and I love her in that. Not particularly her character but her voice - wow. I'm not sure why that same sentiment didn't translate when she came over to the mainstream, I was definitely sceptical of the quality of her actual music. Some of my friends were singing Ariana's praises all through this but it wasn't until after I listened to one of her live performances, that I just had to give her album a chance. If I'm honest, about 5 tracks in I had to admit, Ariana Grande is one of the best things to happen to Pop music in a very long time.

Her vocal control, range and overall malleability are astonishing. My favourite tracks on the record right now are "blazed (feat. Pharrell Williams)", "God is a woman", "breathin" "no tears left to cry" "borderline (feat. Missy Elliott)" and have stayed as such pretty much since first listen. However, every now and again I listen back and discover more things about the rest of the album that catch my attention. These heavy hitters accompanied by the softer moments of experimentation come together to make a very solid body of work. My biggest concern on first listen was that it would be an album of 3 singles and half-hearted fillers. Let's just say that I've since learnt to stop doubting Ariana Grande.

Ariana's personality wins all of the battles that her lyrics perhaps weren't strong enough to fight. Although some of the songs aren't particularly lyrically challenging or inventive, the simplicity and candour in her lyricism win points across the board. This has been a big year for Ariana both professionally and personally filled with change and growth but I suspect that this is only the beginning for her in a lot of ways. I'm just happy that I finally jumped on the bandwagon in time to witness it.

Here's a look at what chimed in at number 8 last year.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment