Album Review: Shedding Skin

Ghostpoet dropped his third album recently and after interviewing him here, I thought I'd give my two cents about the new record too. A couple of weeks since its release date and I've had more than enough to time to listen to it over and over again and form a valid opinion for each song! Plus, it's been far too long since I reviewed an album and there have been so many to talk about. So here's the track-by-track...


1. Off Peak Dreams - The first single that I heard from the record and the first concrete evidence I had that this was going to be another triumph for Ghostpoet. Such a smooth opening song - as easy going as it is, it doesn't hold anything back musically, it just dives straight in and I like that in an opener.

2. X Marks The Spot (feat. Nadine Shah) - Already a quick vibe shift with a slightly slower and more swampy sounding song. I like how consistent the instrumental is too - as well as adding another level to the record, the track itself doesn't have too much going on inside of it. Simple but effective.

3. Be Right Back, Moving House (feat. Paul Smith) - In keeping with the slower tracks, this song in particular gives you the chance to properly listen to and take in Ghostpoet's lyrics - and I love how straight forward they are, not hiding behind too much metaphor or wordplay, just there.

4. Shedding Skin (feat. Melanie De Baisio) - The second single that I heard from the album and the first that I'd heard of Melanie De Baisio. I'd say that it was a pretty good first impression! Hearing this after "Off Peak Dreams" I had no idea of what the rest of the album might sound like at all. Two pretty different songs, both bringing memorable moments to the record. I was singing "You think you know me, you'll never know me..." for a long time afterwards. 

5. Yes, I Helped You Pack (feat. Etta Bond) - I love, love, love Etta Bond's voice mirroring Obaro's throughout the song. They mesh so well that you barely notice that there are two voices singing by the end of it. This is one of my favourites on the record overall. Again, a simple song but just the little things push it to greatness. 

6. That Ring Down The Drain Kind Of Feeling (feat. Nadine Shah) - Right now, I think that I slightly prefer this song to the other Nadine Shah feature. The sluggish bassline makes you feel just as defeated as the title suggests.

7. Sorry My Love, It's You Not Me (feat. Lucy Rose) - My current favourite on the album actually - I just love the riffs on this. When I first listened to the album, this was the song that I had on repeat. I would've expected this to be the next single - a great driving song.

8. Better Not Butter - This song had me nodding my heading before it hit 5 seconds in. I love how sinister the instrumental sounds and the guitar adds so much whilst being so minimal. Held together mostly by the rhythm section this song is a belter for sure - look forward to seeing this live at some point.

9.The Pleasure In Pleather - I love the repetition towards the end of this song and the escalation. The best drum part on the whole record in my opinion.

10. Nothing In The Way - This piano part was the perfect way to end this album. It felt like a movie soundtrack almost - sort of like the end credits. This song is just refreshing. It sounds very clean and when it ended the first time I heard it, it did make me feel like I'd come out of something, or literally "shed" something. Brilliantly placed song.


This album just cemented my opinions of Ghostpoet's fantastic story-telling abilities. To me this body of work just feels like a continuation of everything that he's put out prior - like a little update of his current feelings in life. I look forward to the next installment. 

Overall Rating - 8/10



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment