NUMBER FOUR

It really pains me to admit this but I didn't know whether this album was going to make the list this year. Actually, before listening to it, I was probably leaning more towards it not making the cut. I'm particularly embarrassed because after all of my years hailing Paramore as one of my all time favourite bands, I (foolishly) doubted them. With that said, in the number four spot is rightfully awarded to Paramore with After Laughter.

I think overall it was just tough for me to let go of what Paramore was because it had meant so much to me and my musical journey finding them at the time that I did. But now - after the self-titled - my mind has caught up with their feelings and I'm finally on track with where they're at again. Now this album means just as much to me as their earlier albums, but for very different reasons.

My favourites at the moment have to be "Fake Happy", "Told You So", "Grudges", "Caught In The Middle" and "Rose-Coloured Boy", and even that was hard to narrow it down. The drums on "Told You So" are so clean, to be honest that isn't even specific to "Told You So". The musicianship on this record is their best to date. The production on this album is fantastic. The lyrics were the shining light for me though - speaking so directly and solemnly over music that tells a completely different story. I always love a bit of juxtaposition on an album but Paramore have done it perfectly here. I danced my way through most of the first listens but always found myself with a lump in my throat at the end. 

I don't think Paramore have made another album that was this representative of them and their feelings in a particular moment. Not only is it one of my favourites of 2017 but it's one of my favourite Paramore records, period.

Have a look at what just missed out on my top 3 last year here.




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment