NUMBER FOURTEEN

Stormzy, Stormzy, Stormzy! Y'all knew he was going to make the list right? Before I listened to the album I wouldn't have been so sure. Of course I'd heard the singles like "Shut Up", "Wicked Skengman 4", and "Know Me From" but just listening to those singles wouldn't have been enough for me. However, after just the first listen I was sold. If you hadn't already guessed, in at number 14 is Stormzy with Gang Signs And Prayer.

The versatility of this album is probably what shocked me most. For an artist whom many now seem to consider as the embodiment of UK Grime; it's crazy how overlooked his contribution to Gospel, Pop and even R&B are on this album. From beginning to end this album had me raising my eyebrows - from the intricate bars on "First Things First" to the vocals on "Blinded By Your Grace, Pt. 2 (feat. MNEK)". To this day "Cold" is possibly one of my favourite tracks of the year. Not even necessarily the best track on the album but a favourite of mine nonetheless. Alongside that, current favourites are "Blinded By Your Grace, Pt. 2", "Return Of The Rucksack", "Don't Cry For Me (feat. Raleigh Ritchie)". Each showing off diverse high points of Stormzy's repertoire, but each with room for live development. The same can be said for the entire album - very solid but I see a lot of room for growth in the follow up.

Stormzy's success this year has been colossal and widespread, and whilst a part of me wants to say it's a little too much hype, after seeing him live quite a bit these past few months and listening through his album several times since its release, I can't help but feel like the hype is warranted. Aside from being a quality character, he's a phenomenal performer and a humble newcomer. A recipe for success. I'm more than excited for what's to come.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment