NUMBER THIRTEEN

In at number 13 - possibly the best lyrical performance of all of the albums on this list - is the painfully beautiful Turn Out The Lights by Julien Baker. I wasn't quite prepared for how powerful this record is and I guess that's part of what took me so long to get round to listening to it.

An album centred of just vocals, guitar and piano wouldn't ordinarily be something that I'm drawn to, especially not for a whole record but after this, my opinion's done a full 180. The intricacies, the cracks and flaws in Julien's voice make this whole body of work that much more touching and real. There is nothing to hide behind here and for that reason Julien's intentions shine through all the more clearly.

My favourites at the minute are "Appointments",  "Shadowboxing", "Televangelist" and "Claws in Your Back". The first time I listened to the album, the last song "Claws in Your Back", hit me more than almost any piece of music I've heard this year. One of the most well crafted, gut wrenching,  songs I've ever heard and the closing of the piano lid at the end gave me all the closure I could've asked for.

It took me a little longer than I would've liked to have a listen to this but better late than never. Julien Baked based on music alone is the most intriguing artist I've had the pleasure of listening to in 2017. I loving forward to sticking with her journey in the months to come. I just hope she comes back on tour.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment