NUMBER TEN

Well here we are, the TOP TEN. It's been an eventful 20 days so far, lots of very different albums. However, ushering us into the Top 10 is an album from one of my favourite bands in the UK - Basement in at number 10 with Beside Myself.

I might go as far as to say that this is my favourite album of theirs to date, which is surprising to me considering how much I enjoyed their last album Promise Everything. After, I saw the album release pop up on Spotify, the first listen was actually an event for me. I had a long commute coming up that I had planned as the perfect time and place to listen. When the time came around, I could barely put my phone down because I was checking my phone so much for which track was playing. This album is just hit after hit.

Hits with the biggest impact for me are "Nothing Left", "Ultraviolet", "Stigmata", "Just A Life" and "Reason For Breathing". The riffs on this record are phenomenal. It's becoming more and more difficult to find unique riffs and melodies in Rock music these days. However, every single one of the songs I've listed has a riff that stayed imbedded in my mind for days after each listen. Andrew's lyrics directed at homesickness and a longing for a home-base strike a chord even for those who may not have felt that way before. His vocals sound stronger than ever and the emotion that lies under them comes through just enough.  

When I found out that Basement would be releasing the album under Fueled By Ramen, I assumed that the album would have a slightly more refined sound but aside from that I wasn't 100% sure what to expect. All I can say is that Basement blew me away with this album, it was everything that I wanted before I even knew what I wanted. I'll definitely be hoping to see them live again in 2019.

Have a look at the album that brought us into the Top 10 in 2017 here.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment