A Note To: Balance & Composure

Over the past year or so, I've seen the end of an upsetting number of my favourite bands. The first end that sticks poignantly in my mind is the band Trophy Wife. However, in the months after that, Save Your Breath, The Swellers, The Maccabees and Arcane Roots followed and now here we are at Balance & Composure and I am truly upset.

I'm not just upset at the fact that I never got to see them play live, although that is something that will stick with me. The fact is that their music holds such a heavy weight in my musical heart and I wasn't ready to be faced with the fact that there won't be any more of it. Their sophomore album in particular The Things We Think We're Missing has and will continue to soundtrack some of the more emotional moments of my life and has even simply brought a light or a meaning to the more mundane moments of life. I know that Balance & Composure aren't necessarily the best band or the best thing to happen to Alternative Rock music, but their music has always resonated with me in a way that felt personal. I guess that's one of the best things about music. You can listen to a song one way and yet the next person is hearing and feeling something completely different.





When I first discovered Balance & Composure back in 2014, I was a little bit late to the party but even then after just the first listen of "Lost Your Name" something sparked in me. With each of the bands listed above I can pick out a moment - an instant where a song of theirs defined an moment in time for me. Most recently I was walking off some feelings of uncertainty I was having and I listened through TTWTWM. It took me back to a time years ago when I was walking through Birmingham City Centre, sun shining, buzzing for the future. I could see that day so clearly. It's a shame that B&C are splitting but at least we'll always have those moments.

I've put together a Spotify playlist of some of my favourite tracks from them over the years. Listen in and create your own moments.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment