Gig Review: Drenge

I don't actually know how I almost forgot to write about this gig! 13 days ago, I went to see Drenge play the last set of their residency at The Black Heart in Camden. To be honest, I actually forgot about the gig myself and almost ended up missing it!! Luckily I was in Camden already with some friends and I just happened to check my calendar and see that they were playing. After sprinting to the venue we got there in the middle of the support act's set and managed to schmooze our way into the sold out set.

The support act (in keeping with the headliners dynamic) were comprised solely of a drummer and a guitarist - they were absolutely fantastic. We managed to catch their last 2 or 3 songs and they had the already pretty full room bobbing their heads and getting hyped for the rest of the night. The drummer in particular was on fire and the guitarist/lead singer was grunge through and through. He groaned through the last songs of the set and ended it by taking off his guitar, throwing it on the floor and walking off stage. I don't know why but that just absolutely cemented it for me - I was definitely going to like this band. In case you're wondering, I did manage to catch their name eventually - Dolomite Minor. I would DEFINITELY recommend giving them a listen - get onto their soundcloud and download some of their tracks for FREE!

After their set, the room started to fill up even more (which was exceptionally easy as its' capacity was probably close to 80) and we started chatting to some really cool people. Finally, Drenge hopped on stage and before Eoin had even put on his guitar the electricity in the room was already high - they opened up with "Gun Crazy" then powered through a bunch of tracks off of their self-titled debut including "Dogmeat" and "Running Wild". The whole time the crowd was just looking for an excuse to go mental and finally, that excuse showed up in the form of "Bloodsports". Once the crowd heard the opening four bars of this song there was already a mosh pit in full force in the middle of this hole of a room. Obviously having not anticipated being at this gig my friends and I were not at all dressed appropriately for moshing conditions but who cares? We got involved nonetheless and after that the gig didn't slow down for one minute - spirits stayed high and music stayed awesome.

Drenge played through other hits such as "Backwaters" (another mosh frenzy), "Fuckabout" and "Let's Pretend" before finally closing this immense set with their latest single "Face Like A Skull". The crowd (myself included) went absolutely ballistic for this last track. My friends and I were being thrown from left to right bouncing all over the room and loving every second of it. This gig was just plain awesome!! I can't believe we almost missed it!

If you haven't already witnessed Drenge live, please, I strongly urge you to get a ticket - this is definitely not a performance that you'd want to miss. The most exciting new band around (in my opinion).

Overall Rating - 9/10

Here are some pictures from the night:



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment