On The First Day Of Christmas...

Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two...

Aaaaand my number one album of 2013 is ...Like Clockwork by Queens Of The Stone Age. Now this was definitely a tough one for me to pick. I know that it wasn't the best album out this whole year BUT it was definitely the one that I enjoyed and played the most and so for that reason, I made it my number one.

It being their first release since their last album six years ago, I was nothing but stoked to just hear some new material. Then came "I Appear Missing"... The first time that I heard it was when the video was released and the two things combined made me lose my mind. The video is so perfect for the song and the way that the song builds just really takes you with it. Anyway, after the video came out QOTSA then put out a series of videos all connecting to each other making fifteen minutes worth of awesomeness which you can watch here.

By the time that the album dropped on the 3rd of June, I had already rinsed those fifteen minutes of songs and I wasn't even the tiniest bit tired of them. Not sure how I was still able to be stoked for this album after hearing the core of it over and over again but there we go... Not only was the album as good as I thought it would be, the songs that I'd already listened to sounded better on the record! Win:win situation. All of a sudden I had some new favourite songs and an album that swiftly made its way onto my 'most played' list.

Josh Homme's sombre, falsetto vocals complimented the amazing instrumental performances throughout the album making it pretty addictive to listen to. As cheesy as this is going to sound, I did feel like the album was taking me on journey every time I listened to it and I suppose that's what you'd hope for from any album that you'd purchase? Either way, here are some of my favourites from the record: "My God Is The Sun", "If I Had A Tail", "I Appear Missing", "Fairweather Friends" and "Smooth Sailing".

Well, there you have it. My top seven albums of 2013. Merry Christmas!! If you get an hour after the huge feast later, give this a listen...

File:Queens of the Stone Age - …Like Clockwork.png 

Last year's album numero uno can be found here.

Some of the other records that didn't quite make the list this year (in no particular order)...

1. Vampire Weekend – Modern Vampires Of The City
2. Wavves – Afraid Of Heights
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Mosquito
4. Arctic Monkeys – AM
5. Sigur Rós – Kveikur
6. Palma Violets – 180
7. The Joy Formidable – Wolf’s Law
8. Laura Mvula - Sing To The Moon
9. Jai Paul – Jai Paul
10. Dangerkids – Collapse
11. David Bowie – The Next Day
12. A Day To Remember – Common Courtesy
13. Disclosure – Settle
14. Bonobo – The North Borders
15. Paramore – Paramore
16. Half Moon Run – Dark Eyes
17. Iceage – You’re Nothing
18. Jagwar Ma – Howlin’
19. James Blake – Overgrown
20. Jay Z – Magna Carta… Holy Grail
21. Mallory Knox – Signals
22. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds – Push The Sky Away
23. Peace – In Love
24. The Story So Far – What You Don’t See
25. Beyonc̩ РBeyonc̩ 'The Visual Album'
26. Janelle Monáe - The Electric Lady
27. Tonight Alive - The Other Side 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment