MUSIC MAY-HEM

Being exam season, May is never really a great time to write blog posts for me but before we reach the half way point of the month I thought that I'd better find some time to let you all know what new albums you could expect to hear in the coming weeks...

ONES WE'VE MISSED:


THE HORRORS - LUMINOUS
I've been interested in The Horrors since hearing their last album Skying and particularly the song "Still Life" from it. Now they've got this new album out and a bunch of summer festival appearances announced and I think I'm ready to call myself a fan. If you haven't already heard this album (out on the 5th of May), give it a listen.





LYKKE LI - I NEVER LEARN
I have heard a number of good things about Lykke Li, this year especially but have never been so moved to listen to her material. However, with the release of this new album, I feel like it may be time to jump on the band wagon so to speak. It's been available on iTunes and Spotify since the 5th of May so there are no excuses now.






AS ELEPHANTS ARE - HAND PRINTS EP
The boys made all of the songs from this EP available on their soundcloud prior to its' release but it will be nice to hear it as a whole finally. From the songs that I've already heard from it, I can tell that it is something that I'll have playing quite a bit this summer. It's also been out since the 5th of May, check it out here.




ONES TO LOOK OUT FOR:


LITTLE DRAGON - NABUMA RUBBERBAND
I am lucky enough to have received an advanced copy of this album already and so I can definitely vouch and say that it is worth the listen - especially if you've not heard any of their material prior to this. I feel like this album is the most commercial of the four but still has a classic Little Dragon feel. Great listen - keep an eye out on the 12th of May.





BO NINGEN - III
Another band that I've been meaning to check out but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Judging by the title I assume that this is their third album so before I miss the rest of their career, I'd better do my research while I can. If their song "Henkan" is anything to go by, it'll be a very interesting listen. The album hits shelves on the 12th of May.





THE BLACK KEYS - TURN BLUE
I've developed a bad habit of overplaying all of The Black Keys' albums thus far so it'll be a nice treat to have something new of theirs to listen to. It's also perfectly in time for me to learn all the words ahead of their Glastonbury appearance in June. Their recent single "Fever" from it is a corker. Another album to add to the list on the 12th of May.




COLDPLAY - GHOST STORIES
And Coldplay are back with the follow up to Mylo Xyloto the album received huge critical acclaim but I thought it was kind of overrated here. Either way, this new album seems to have taken a completely different turn with more ambient songs like "Midnight" and "Magic". Will be interesting to hear what this sounds like on the 19th of May.





SBTRKT - TRANSITIONS
SBTRKT is releasing the album Transitions in 3 different parts available for digital download or on vinyl here. I'm completely in the dark as to what it might sound like especially in contrast to the 2011 self-titled record. I guess I'll just have to wait and be surprised on the 19th of May.





WOLF ALICE - CREATURE SONGS EP
I have been excited about this EP since hearing their absolute banger from it "Moaning Lisa Smile". Wolf Alice are such an explosive and exciting band and I can't wait for their debut album (it will not disappoint). Until then I have their fantastic EP's to tide me over and they just seem to be getting better and better. Get your hands on Creature Songs on the 26th of May.




ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN - METEORITES
Echo & The Bunnymen haven't released an album in five years, and with this release it will be a twelfth album to add to the already fabulous collection! Safe to say - I AM EXCITED! The 26th of May is looking like a great day of music for me right now.





SAM SMITH - IN THE LONELY HOUR
I'm in two minds about Sam Smith right now to be honest. While he has fantastic vocals and very catchy songs, whenever I see a live performance by him I'm just not impressed, be it with his vocals or (mainly) his stage presence. Either way, those things will develop with time - for now, I just know that he'll put out an enjoyable record on the 26th of May.




Have a look at some of the albums you might have missed in April here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment