Glastonbury Review: Saturday

With Saturday being the slowest day in terms of music it actually provided some of the best shows. With over 1000 acts playing over the weekend it's impossible to not have a day filled with talent. Here's what Saturday had to offer... 

JAKE ISAAC
I woke up to this beautiful voice serenading me from the Other Stage. After listening for a while I decided that I'd have to have a peak at the face behind the voice. The crowd wasn't huge, but the set that he put on most certainly was. Great talent.

CIRCA WAVES
Since interviewing them here, I've been completely on the band wagon. Even without a debut album, simply from their singles I can tell that their music would be perfect for festivals. With the sun just coming out, their summer indie hits were the perfect way to start anyone's day.

ANGEL HAZE
Having never really listened to much of Angel Haze's solo stuff I wasn't really sure what to expect, but she absolutely slayed it. Spending the last two of her songs in the crowd with the fans and just creating a really intimate feel with over 10,000 people watching - yes. She is definitely one to watch.

KELIS
Kelis was a must see for me. Even though she clashed with both Fat White Family and Royal Blood, I was not going to leave Glastonbury without seeing her. I certainly made the right choice. Her band alone were amazing but she was just flawless. Looking gorgeous in her flowing pink dress she played through new hits, a medley of old favourites and of course her classics. Perfect set.
 
LANA DEL REY
Probably the most emotional set of the entire weekend. Lana brought so much intensity to the day and I really don't think any of us were ready for it. My friends were brought to tears before the set even ended! She had a good mixture of songs from both her debut and sophomore albums and the quality stayed constant throughout. Easily a weekend highlight.

CLEAN BANDIT
Another set that I hadn't expected to be what it was. As we walked up to the stage, the crowd was spilling out of the already overly packed tent, and we had to shove just to get into a reasonable viewing position. It was worth it though, Clean Bandit played all of my favourites from the debut album New Eyes and even covered some other great songs. When they ended with the inevitable and ridiculously contagious song "Rather Be" the crowd feeling was indescribable. Brilliant set.

JACK WHITE
And the talent didn't waver. If anyone was going to live up to my expectations, it'd be Jack. But he didn't just live up to them, he fully surpassed them (with a lot of help from his amazing drummer). Probably one of my favourite moments of the entire festival was when the crowd started chanting the iconic bassline to "Seven Nation Army" and then Jack and the band came on and performed it during the encore - absolutely magnificent.  

TWIN ATLANTIC 
I have never really been a fan of Twin Atlantic, and to be honest the only reason we walked up to the stage they were on is because we thought that Chromeo would be performing there. Nonetheless, they did sound better live and it was actually quite nice to hear the couple of songs of theirs that I enjoy first hand. Not sure that it was enough to make me a huge fan but it did give them a boost in my eyes.

METALLICA 
The most controversial headliner in years and the only official headliner that I watched all weekend. Before I'd even arrived at Glastonbury, I said that I would had to and watch Metallica's set - more out of intrigue than anything. From beginning to end they just continued to impress me. Although I only knew maybe 4 or 5 of the songs that they played - they put on a show, without being in our faces and I loved every minute of it. What a group of badasses! 


Jack White on Pyramid Stage

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment