Glastonbury Review: Sunday

It's insane to think that a festival like Glastonbury could all be over in just three days! I almost feel bad for sleeping because there was so much to see and do in just 72 hours. Either way, it was the most incredible few days that I could've asked for an all I can say now is, roll on 2015!!

THE PREATURES
Still sad that I missed Darlia's performance before this but nonetheless, I'd never heard of this band before I was standing at the barrier for their set, so I really didn't know what to expect. Despite their lead singer seeming a bit try-hard at times throughout the set, they had some really really good songs and great band chemistry. An enjoyable set overall and I will definitely be keeping an ear out for these Aussies.

LONELY THE BRAVE
A name that I'd been hearing quite a bit recently but had not yet checked out, so I was intrigued to see what they could do as a live band. A huge contrast to the more laid-back Preatures but this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I did find myself looking at my watch towards the end of the set but the majority of the set was alright. Not sure if I'll keep up with them much but I definitely don't dislike them.

GEORGE EZRA
Probably one of the biggest shocks of the weekend. First of all the name George Ezra did sound familiar but nothing sprung to mind when I heard it. When the young Bristolian stepped on stage looking a little sheepish, I was very taken aback by the beautiful, deep voice that came from him. His set was quality and actually fun - the tent was absolutely packed. I look forward to listening to his debut album released last week!

THE KOOKS
The "surprise" set of the day. I hadn't heard much of their music post-"Naive" days and I hadn't really heard anything good about it thus far. When they opened up with some of their new R&B-influenced material, I have to say I wasn't impressed. The "diggity"'s threw me off a little bit. However, when they played their latest single "Around Town" I changed my mind - really good song. The rest of the set followed suit and overall it was a great set.

DOLLY PARTON
Although many people questioned her name on the bill, Dolly managed to pull in the largest crowd of the entire weekend and played a genuinely beautiful set on the Pyramid Stage. Her interesting, endearing and quite hilarious country anecdotes really made the set feel more intimate.She played through some old favourites and some new songs finally ending with a cover of "I Will Always Love You", which I'm sure brought some to tears. Definite standout set from the weekend.

ED SHEERAN 
If you've read my blog before, you probably already know that I don't care too much for Ed Sheeran or his music. I didn't even want to be at this set because Bombay Bicycle Club were on at the same time. However, in order to get a good spot for The Black Keys I made a compromise. Thankfully he is better live than on record. Despite him only having his acoustic guitar and no band on main stage, he still managed to entertain the crowd and the riff to "Sing" was in my head for a good while afterwards.

THE BLACK KEYS
Even though I've seen them before, this time was better than the last. The songs from their latest album sounded good but none of their songs hit me as hard as the ones from El Camino - definitely my favourite album of theirs. "Little Black Submarines" was a huge highlight. A band full of geniuses and an afternoon full of glorious music.

CHANCE THE RAPPER 
My friend had been raving about Chance for at least the last five months and stupidly I didn't make time to give him a listen but I'm so glad that I made it to his set because it opened my eyes more than Spotify could have. Backed by an amazing band (kudos to his Musical Director) and his contagious charisma he put on an awesome show and made everyone feel the love. I'll need to listen to my friend more often.

DISCLOSURE
I know, I know! I must be insane to miss Kasabian's closing headline set but there was reasoning behind it I promise! Since I saw Kasabian headline Reading a couple of years ago and hadn't seen Disclosure yet, I opted for the latter and I'd do it again. Beautiful way to end the weekend - Disclosure bringing out almost all of their album feature artists and ending with Sam Smith singing the beautiful "Latch". The lights were magnificent - flares were lit and shapes were cut - electric set!

 
Have a look at what I thought of last year's Glastonbury here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment