Gig Review: Mapei

So, Notting Hill Arts Club is fast becoming one of my favourite places in London and it's all thanks to New Shapes. They've gone two for two, first Superfood and now Mapei - might have to start looking for apartments in the area!

Earlier this week (12/08/14) I headed over to the venue ready for another cool set but this was way more than I could've ever expected. First of all, I was actually under the impression that it was Charlotte OC's headlining show and Mapei was supporting. However, when I walked in and saw Charlotte walking around the club getting ready to go up, I figured that she was the support. Having seen her a couple of months ago at Field Day here, I already knew how fabulous Charlotte was, but even still, she blew me away. Opening with one of my favourite songs of hers "Hangover" and playing through the rest of her huge hits, again she had the crowd screaming by her final song "Colour My Heart" - I'm sure she made a lot of new fans that night. Generally it was a pretty intense set, she is consistently great live - absolute marvel! Tough support to follow. Quick shout out to Dashy Dashy DJs again - absolutely smashed it! Tune after tune and no time to rest. Love these guys.

Originally I was going to write about Mapei as a "new discovery" but when I found out about this gig I thought I'd just wait until afterwards to write about her in this gig review. I'd only heard her two songs "Don't Wait" and "Change" before coming to the gig and they didn't the least bit prepare me for the awesome show I was about to witness. Mapei stepped onto the tiny stage with her two back up dancers joining her bassist and drummer and already the atmosphere was heated. Her dancers were great - seriously added to the atmosphere. Even though I was on my own after a few songs I found myself full out dancing as if I was up there on stage with them. Also, I didn't know that she rapped so much, she really reminded me of old school artists like Lauryn Hill throughout the set and her outfit was very Erykah Badu inspired. Amazing stage presence and a really calm aura. And then of course there's her band.  Her band were on FIRE! Her bassist was amazing, switching between his bass (a very nice bass at that) and his keyboards and playing both fantastically. Then her drummer shone when given chance for a solo - the crowd couldn't blink as fast as his hands were moving! I had such a good time - extremely enjoyable set! Every song that she performed, I liked - I just can't wait until her debut record Hey Hey out on the 23rd of September. The best first impression of USA's new star, Mapei.

Overall Rating - 8.5/10


Here are some pictures from the night...





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment