Gig Review: La Roux

I have to admit, 90% of the reason I even went to the show was to hear La Roux sing "Bulletproof" and "In For The Kill". I had the wrong idea because despite those two absolute bangers, La Roux actually has some pretty awesome and catchy other songs! First things first though...

A band called Meanwhile were supporting. When they stepped on stage with their 90's haircuts and neon suits I already had an idea of what kind of vibe their music would be. When the beat started playing I thought "oooh okay, this is nice" but then the lead started singing and my thoughts swiftly changed to "oh no!" but after a few minutes they recovered and actually played a really good set. They had me tapping my foot and bopping my head before the end and the songs were pretty catchy. Their drummer was great (left handed too) and they each had a lot of energy throughout. Meanwhile are an interesting band, I wonder how far they'll end up getting!

As I said before, I came to see La Roux only having heard "Bulletproof","In For The Kill" and "Uptight Downtown" so aside from those three, I wasn't really excited for much else. However, as the set went on, surprisingly I didn't find myself impatiently waiting for when she would play those three songs. I was actually immersed - she was brilliant. Also, I didn't actually know until she spoke that she was British. Either way, I really enjoyed myself, and it seemed like everybody else genuinely did too (despite some of the atrocious dancing, which was also surprising as you can literally two step to every single one of her songs - I've tested this theory). La Roux's band were very good, then again, these days, what artist really has a sub-par band? It was just such a surreal night. She came back on for an encore and played "Bulletproof" for the finale - the atmosphere was electric. It was just great to see that even after 5 years, 2009 is still cool in 2014. Quality.

Overall Rating - 7/10


Here are some pictures from the night...







CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment