Gig Review: Taking Back Sunday

So we're finally here, at my last gig review of 2014. What a great note to end on?! I was excited about this show for many reasons but let's jump right in with the first of those reasons...

The first support act on was Marmozets. They are just amazing! One of the best new bands I've come across in a long while, and so original! Needless to say, I was excited about the line up for the evening. As I walked in to hear them playing the end of their first song "Born Young And Free", I had to sprint to the front and get in on the action. They only had about 5 or 6 tracks to work with but by the end of their set the crowd was screaming "one more song!", and to be honest I could have done with 10 more! They absolutely slayed. I genuinely have no notes for them - perfect opening set. Every track hit hard and they left the whole crowd buzzing.

I had no idea that there were going to be two support acts so when Blitz Kids stepped on stage I can't say that I was excited or anything, I was just sort of thinking "oh, okay then!". The excitement stayed at bay throughout the entire set to be honest. Joe even said halfway through "Coming on after Marmozets makes us look like f-ing Boyzone"... yes, yes it did. Not that Blitz Kids were bad or anything, Marmozets were just better. It was a hard act to follow but they did well. There were a few times during songs where I wanted it to be more intense, it just felt a little bit posy. Speaking of posy, I was a little bit upset that Joe didn't bring his shiny mic along with him, I can't lie. Despite these minor issues, they performed well and had what seemed like most of the crowd on their bandwagon.

And finally, Taking Back Sunday. I don't think that I realised just how long these guys have been making music for. They were amazing! I really felt like I'd missed out on them because the only songs I really knew were "Number Five With A Bullet" and "Make Damn Sure" (and they were both incredible live) but still, every single song that they played, I wanted to know. I'll definitely have to do some background research and make up for lost years. This band really knows how to put on a show! The lead singer's laws of physics defying microphone twirling and the drummer's (also laws of physics defying) stick wielding were mesmerising, and Adam had some hilarious crowd banter. Not just a vocalist and professional microphone thrower but also a comedian! It's at shows like this when you can just see that the band has done this loads of times because they were so so comfortable on stage. It was refreshing actually. I loved their song "Liar (It Takes One To Know One)" - definite stand out for me. Closing with "Make Damn Sure" made my entire night! This was just the cherry on top of an awesome year of gigging.

Overall Rating - 8/10


Here are some pictures from the night...






CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment