On The Sixth Day Of Christmas...

As much as I like this band, I never thought that one of their albums would make it onto my favourite albums list! Especially not above Foo Fighters. Some of their songs are actually some of my favourite songs ever but I've never listened to a full record of theirs as much as I did this one.

My sixth favourite album of the year is .5: The Gray Chapter by Slipknot. After I heard the first single from this record "The Devil In I", I was psyched. Such a brilliant song. Perfect way to introduce a new album in my opinion. Initially, I thought the video was a bit too much/over the top. However, when I found out what it was actually about, I thought that it was genius! Slipknot as a collective just continue to impress me. This being their first album in six years, first album since their drummer Joey left and first album since Paul's death - I had pretty high expectations for it (which they fulfilled). The perfect way to honour their late bassist Paul Gray.

It's not often that an album released so late on in the year (the 20th of October) makes it onto this list, literally just because there isn't normally enough time for me to overplay and analyse it the way that I can with the earlier albums. However, with Slipknot's album, I didn't even listen to it in full until November but after first listen I already knew that I'd have to say something about it for sure. My first favourite songs were "AOV" and "Skeptic". It just has so many levels to it and as the record went on, I realised that it did too. "The One That Kills The Least" and "If Rain Is What You Want" bringing a slightly softer element to the supercharged, metal record. My only criticism would be that, being a 16 track record, it does begin to drag a little bit towards the end. However, individually, each song is quality.

This album was such a hit for Slipknot that I don't think I'd feel too upset if it was their last. I mean, what an awesome note to end on! Real icons and outstanding musicians. Corey Taylor is always surprises me and particularly lyrically, he is just brilliant. Great album.


Check out last year's equally awesome but super different sixth favourite album here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment