On The Fifth Day Of Christmas...

Only up to the fifth album but every day it just gets a little bit harder to write these! I'm always going back and forth in my head about whether I made the right decisions and today, at this exact moment, I've actually changed my mind and opted for my initial number five choice...

My fifth favourite album is 2014 is Love Letters by Metronomy. This was probably the hardest choice out of the seven because this was up against Sam Smith's brilliant debut - In The Lonely Hour. An equally awesome record but at the end of the day, the deciding question was, "which one did I actually come back to the most after first listen?" and Metronomy won out.

Love Letters is Metronomy's fourth album and it definitely has some of my favourite songs of theirs on it. I really overdid this album this year. So much so, that I actually saw it performed live three times (here, here and here) in the space of four months. Weirdly, I'm still not tired of it. It's just a very well crafted album! When I heard their first single from it "I'm Aquarius" I knew it'd be a catchy album but I didn't think it'd be this hard to shake. In fact, when I first heard the single, I wasn't actually sure whether I'd like the album at all - boy was I wrong! I actually think that it's their only album that I can listen to without feeling the need to skip a track. My current favourites are "Love Letters", "Reservoir", "Monstrous" and "Month Of Sundays", but they tend to change from time to time.

I think that this is a record I'll certainly be bringing back for years to come - as I will with all of the records that make/almost make this list! Metronomy have done well with this one. It's versatile and an incredibly enjoyable listen. Looking forward to the seeing how the next record matches up.


Click here to see my very different number five choice from last year.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment