On The Third Day Of Christmas...

So we've reached the top three and this is where it gets really unexpected for me. Each of the top three albums this year I never would have pegged to make it this far.

My third favourite album of the year is PVRIS' spectacular debut White Noise. It wasn't until late last year here that I really discovered PVRIS and got into them. I wasn't even thinking about them releasing a debut to be honest, I was just enjoying their one song "The Heartless". It wasn't until I heard their first single - "St. Patrick" - from the record, that I actually started paying full attention. What an entrance?! After this release, every single rock magazine worldwide seemed to take notice. I could hardly flick through Twitter without seeing somebody mention them. This band are contagious! I listened to "St. Patrick" for weeks on end and could still happily listen to it every day until the end of the year. This trio are brilliant song crafters.

Then their second single "My House" dropped and it was even better! Once I found out the album release date; the 4th of November was etched in my memory. I had to get my hands on it. After a few listens to their singles, I couldn't help but draw comparisons to VERSA (Emerge). Then, I found out that Blake Harnage was actually responsible for producing their record! Everything made sense after that. And even though I didn't think it'd be possible, I was even more excited to hear the finished product. I'm still a little sad that VersaEmerge aren't around anymore but PVRIS have managed to take the genre to whole new levels! Frontwoman Lyndsey Gunnulfsen brings so much power to each song with her candid lyrics and fantastic tone, whilst Brian and Alex make sure that even their softer tracks sound so musically huge and full. The record as a whole just immerses you. 2015 is going to be a ridiculously big year for these three and I'm excited to keep up with them through it.

My favourite songs on the record right now aside from the singles are "Holy", "Fire", "Smoke" and "Mirrors". The whole thing just flows so perfectly - absolutely brilliant debut! 2015, year of PVRIS.


 

Have a look at what awesome record made it into last year's top three here.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment