On The Fourth Day Of Christmas...

Unlike the last album there was no competition with this one, I knew that this would make my list for sure. Such a fabulous and genuinely unique album.

Number four on my list of top albums in 2014 is Nabuma Rubberband by Little Dragon. If you can't already tell from the title, this album is not your average listen. Ever since hearing "Twice" a few years ago, I have been keeping track of Little Dragon. I'd caught up on all their albums, overplayed them thoroughly and prepared for that day that I'd be able to hear a new one. Finally, this year, the time came... and I was so slow about it! I had this album sitting in my inbox for days, I don't know why I didn't listen to it straight away! But I suppose that they say, good things come to those who wait. And good things did come... 

It took a little longer than some others to get into but after a couple of listens, I knew that this was a big deal. This record is magical! And one of the best things about it is that I haven't heard anything like it this whole year. It's the gap in the market that I didn't even know there was! My favourite songs on it currently are "Underbart", "Cat Rider", "Paris" and "Only One" but at one point or another almost every single song on it has been a favourite. Yukimi just has a spectacular and very listenable voice - it's enchanting. After seeing them live this year here, my love for this album just went into overdrive! I haven't heard one album this year that I've been in the mood to listen to more than this. In my opinion, Little Dragon are one of the most exciting and interesting bands around at the moment.  It would just seem that anything they touch turns to gold.

I don't know if I could ever see this album reaching the mainstream, but for a lot of reasons I'm glad about that. I want everyone to know about them but I don't want them to become too accessible. I guess I just really like the fact that their music is so centred in them and their preferences without any real worry about what the listeners might think. Fantastic record.


Click here to see what I chose as my fourth favourite record in 2013.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment