Gig Review: The Weeks

First gig review of the new year and it's for a relatively new discovery! I hadn't really heard anything about The Weeks until early January but after checking out their track "Buttons", I knew I had to check them out...

Supporting The Weeks were regular tour buddies and fellow Tennessee natives  - The Apache Relay. I had never heard this band's name before the night so I was especially intrigued. The songs that they played from their latest self titled record sounded BIG! I was particularly impressed with their song "Good As Gold". I would definitely suggesting getting your hands on this album in fact because after listening to it on Spotify, I'm convinced that this genre is going to start getting some more recognition in the UK soon. It surprised me that as many great musicians as we have just walking around these days I'm still always excited and impressed when I see great musicians perform together. They played a very sound set. The instrumental on their last song was awesome - it kind of reminded me of a fuller sounding Best Coast vibe. Calm music played powerfully - brilliant.

Next up, The Weeks. One of the first things I notice throughout the set was just how layered their songs sounded. With almost all of them there were lots of subtle influences and changes that really made each song sound thick and robust. This was also obviously helped along by a good set of lyrics. As I'd only managed to listen to their album Comeback Cadillac before coming to the show, there were quite a few songs that they played that I hadn't heard of prior. This didn't lessen the enjoyment though. In fact, a lot of the songs that I enjoyed most were songs from their upcoming record that none of the crowd had yet heard, so I'll definitely be keeping them on my radar to hear the studio versions in the future. One song that really stood out to me live though was "Heard It All". People often refer to music/live music as a "religious experience" and in this instance they really did take me to church. The organ/piano meshed with the bass in particular just made me feel like I was at a church worship service. Great vibes!

Their lead singer Cyle's voice sounded very similar to Caleb Followill's (lead singer of Kings Of Leon). I later found out that The Weeks have actually even supported them on tour before. But the point is; it would have been easy for them to fall into the hole of "KOL tribute band" but they nicely avoided it and brought their own unique talents to the table. Both The Apache Relay and The Weeks just got better and better as their sets went on and both bands were genuinely easy-going, nice guys. Another two great bands to add to the iTunes...

Overall Rating - 7/10


Here are some pictures from the night...


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment