On The Radar

It's been a busy few weeks in the lead up to Autumn/Winter and as always artists are popping up everywhere - this year in particular - but there have been a few that have stuck in mind long after first listen. The same ones that I've been quick to recommend any time people have asked me for new music.


AZADI.MP3
Who is AZADI.mp3? In just over two minutes of being introduced to AZADI.mp3, it's almost impossible to place her in any single genre or even a particular box. There is nothing, out of the UK or beyond, that I've heard that sounds like this. If this debut is anything to go by all that I can confidently say is that AZADI.mp3 will be keeping us on our toes both through visuals and vocals. Keep your eyes peeled on AZADI's Instagram for updates on her next release. The next visual will be a collaboration with Liverpool collective LEECH and I have no idea what to expect.



DAVID GOTSOUND
Place the tongue and cheek, quick witted lyricism of Dizzee Rascal atop a modern take on a Garage beat and you have my first impression of David GotSound. After listening to the album in full I'd say it definitely gave me a deeper look into David as an artist and a person. The real and relatable lyrics heard on his EP The Human Condition remind me of how Ghostpoet shines a light on his personal life. David's music is honest and true to his nature, I'm expecting exciting things from his corner next year.



KLLO
On a hazy bus trip back from a night out at about 3am, I'd fallen asleep on the bus and awoken to find Spotify radio spinning "Dissolve" quietly in my ears. Not much of the journey stuck in my head afterwards but the next morning finding that song again was the first thing on my mind. Instrumentals reminiscent of a stripped back Trophy Wife but vocals harking back to old school UK Garage - it was surprisingly refreshing to hear.



ZILO
Another social media discovery for me here - whilst scrolling through Instagram I caught just a snippet of vocals from Zilo's latest album The Nature Of The Beast advertising her most recent set of shows at the Servant Jazz Quarters. Unfortunately I couldn't make it down to the gig myself however after listening to the album I am more than sure that I'll be seeing much more of her in the near future. Neo-Soul vocals over mostly Hip Hop beats, what more could I want?




VICKTOR TAIWÃ’
Last month I was lucky enough to be able to attend Anaïs' debut solo show in London whom, if you haven't heard of yet yourself, you should definitely do some research into because her sound is silky smooth goodness. However, at this show I wasn't aware that Vicktor would be the support act and when he stepped on stage, he looked young and a little but unsure of himself, but as soon as the first note came out of his mouth the whole room was stunned to silence. His album Joy Comes In Spirit will have you captured for the entire duration.



AMA LOU
Another Instagram catch, whilst scrolling down the new feed, I came across Ama Lou's - by now very well known - COLORS set and remembered thinking that it was strange that Clarks (the footwear company) were endorsing music all of a sudden. After listening to the EP on Spotify I can't tell you how much I overplayed it. It's the same way I felt about Ella Mai when she first came onto the scene. There are a hell of a lot of female R&B voices that we're hearing right now and good ones at that. I just hope that Ama Lou's doesn't get caught up in the mix because the grit in her voice is something that's missing front a lot of our front-runners right now, particularly in the UK.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment