Underrated/Overrated

The two albums that I'm focusing on are so unexpected for me. Had you have asked me which would be underrated and which would be overrated before I listened to both albums I would have put them both the other way around.


UNDERRATED ALBUM 
After their impressive debut self-titled album, Jungle were everywhere. Every festival, every advert, every TV programme, every country - they just blew up overnight. To be fair, this success ran for a substantial amount of time but just as quickly as they rose, they descended in radio silence. It was only by chance that I was browsing through Spotify last week and found that they'd released their sophomore album, and I've had it on heavy rotation since! Often on the back of a great debut, it's difficult for artists to deliver a follow up album that at the very least matches up, and so the fact that they've managed to overcome 'sophomore album slump' hasn't gone unnoticed. I've found instant favourites in "House In LA", "Pray", "Cherry", and "Beat 54 (All Good Now)". However, I know that as I keep listening my favourites will more than likely chop and change.




OVERRATED ALBUM
I was sat in a café, plowing through emails and I don't know if it was the combination of the never ending emails or the terrible weather that day but on that first listen-through, after the opening 4 or 5 songs I was irritated enough to turn the whole thing off. If it wasn't for "WEIGHT" coming to save the entire day, I would have never finished the album. BROCKHAMPTON have always relied on the creativity and cleanness of their beats to boost their records and up until now, I haven't had a bad word to say about their instrumentals. However, this album was filled with a lot of songs that after a while just became frustrating and chore-like to sit through. There are a few clear stand-outs in the latter half of the album like "DISTRICT", "TAPE" and "VIVID", however all in all, I doubt that I will ever listen to iridescence in its entirety again.

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment