Albums Out This Month...

As we get into what might well be one of the saddest months of the year, with Autumn and Winter rearing their heads, it's nice to know that we have a heap of new music to fill our mundane morning commutes and dreary late night walks with.


PETITE NOIR - LA MAISON NOIR/THE BLACK HOUSE
I have been following Petite Noir since I had my first ever touch screen iPod and I feel like whenever we get something fresh from him, it comes in dribbles. Now after this drought, Petite Noir is back to quench our thirst and about time to. His recent single "Blame Fire" is easily the best work I've heard from him since discovering him in 2012. The production sounds SBTRKT-esque at points with a political sample edge akin to Moses Sumney. I'm over the moon that this gets to be in my ears so soon (the 5th of October).

KELELA - TAKE ME_APART, THE REMIXES
After making it pretty high up on my list of favourite albums from 2017, Kelela is collaborating with some of the biggest names in production and some of the most groundbreaking people in music over the past couple of years - both underground and more mainstream. My favourite remix right now, unsurprisingly comes from resident favourite - Kaytranada - and is an effortless classic. However, I'm most excited to hear the contributions from LSDXOXO, Bad Sista, GAIKA and serpentwithfeet. The album drops on the 5th of October a year after the release of her amazing debut.

JESS GLYNNE - ALWAYS IN BETWEEN
I must admit, I never did listen to Jess Glynne debut album in 2015 but after seeing her live at Lollapolooza Festival in Berlin in 2016 I definitely think I had more respect for Jess as an artist. She was slaying the charts across both of those years with both solo and featured material however something about her never fully clicked in my mind. Her latest single "123" is a little bit vocally lazy but is undeniably catchy. The sophomore drops on the 12th of October and I'll definitely be tuning in to see if I've been missing out all these years.

BASEMENT - BESIDE MYSELF
One of my favourite new discoveries of 2016 - I was a little bit late on the bandwagon but I've done my catching up and I can happily say that Basement are one of my favourite UK Pop Punk bands at the moment, both live and on record. After having their last album Promise Everything on a loop for months it will be nice to have something new from them to spin. This will be their first release via Fueled By Ramen too and whilst I do love most of the material that comes from the FBR camp, I will be interested to hear how this changes the band's sound. Listen in with me on the 12 of October.

DJANGO DJANGO - WINTER'S BEACH EP
Another blessing from Django Django this year - what have we done to deserve all of this new music?! Their album earlier this year Marble Skies was the soundtrack to my trips around Australia and with winter hot on our tails, what better way to march through frosty streets than with Winter's Beach in our ears? Their latest single "Swimming at Night" wouldn't have gone amiss on the last album however, I love how robust the instrumental sounds on this. It actually reminds me a bit of Dutch Uncles' "Big Balloon" at points. Out on the 12th of October I expect that these six new tracks will feature heavily in my wintery days.

MØ - FOREVER NEVERLAND
After battling in MØ's corner for years before she broke the mainstream with Major Lazer, I have to say that I was a little bit disappointed with her debut record No Mythologies To Follow. Although it included some of my favourite singles of hers including "Maiden" and "Glass", I felt like the album had a lot of filler to it and some of the previously released singles now sounded a little bit too polished in my ears. However, I still stand by MØ's talent and expect that there will be a few sweet heavy hitters on this sophomore release. Out on the 19th of October.

NAO - SATURN
Nao is another artist that I will be campaigning for until she gets all of the credit that she's due. That said, her latest singles from the upcoming album have each made pretty big waves, and her most recent single "Drive And Disconnect" was going round and round in my head for days after the first listen. On her debut album Nao was able to highlight the most subtle and something unusual sounds giving her voice the experimental touch that she's often labelled with. I suspect that this flair will still be present on Saturn however I anticipate a very different sound for this one. Closing out the month for us on the 26th of October.


Alongside these we also have potential gems to listen to from these artists later this month - Tom Walker, Neneh Cherry, Farao, Tom Odell, Lil Yachty, Robyn, Nothing But Thieves, Ty Segall and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. I'm always overwhelmed with the amount of music being delivered every single day and this is not even close to half of it. Sometimes I wonder with music where the balance between quality and quantity should lie but as this list shows, this month we may just have the best of both worlds.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment