International Women's Day 2019

We've already had a phenomenal week of releases from womxn let alone the past 3 months. It's apparent more now than ever the sheer brilliance of the womxn in today's society and how much we're achieving within the music industry and far beyond. So in honour of today, and Women's History Month in general, I wanted to briefly talk about a few of my favourite releases from womxn this year so far and music that should most definitely be on your radar. 

I came across Charlotte after seeing her band Wwwater perform early last year and have been following her music since. Her experimental and original instrumentals stand her apart from the saturated whirlpool of today's music world, whilst her voice and lyrics make her music easy to relate to and see the brilliance in. 


ANAÏS - Darkness At Play
I have already raved and raved about anaïs' single "woman" from this album and even though I've said it once, I'll say it again. The vocal perform on not only this single but across the entire album is still one of the best that I've heard this year. Incredible harmonies and unique melodies. I am entirely here for this album. Also, if you hadn't already guessed from the title, it's a pretty apt song to play today of all days.


JAMILA WOODS - ZORA
I can't wait for this album to come out. After her debut record HEAVN last year, this single along with "GIOVANNI" have made me quietly confident in the idea that Jamila's sophomore album might just pip her debut at the post. These singles continue to get me through many a commute or difficult weekday morning. I'm counting on LEGACY! LEGACY! to get me through the rest of 2019.


AMAHLA - Consider This
An up and comer from the Roundhouse artist scene, Amahla demonstrates a vocal control that many have likened to Amy Winehouse. Similarly to the legend, Amahla boasts a voice that can tell stories from before her time. a soulful croon that will stay embedded in your mind long after first listen. Her presence is picking up steam around London and I wouldn't be surprised if the mainstream started hearing from her fairly soon.


EMMAVIE - OOPS
Another memorable London songstress. Emmavie has released a number of singles and music these past few months which, I'm hoping and praying, means that she'll be releasing an album or EP fairly soon. She'll be performing at the Royal Albert Hall in April and rightly so. Her tone of voice is buttery and her songs are catchy, she'd be a welcome addition to today's R&B mainstream.


LITTLE SIMZ - GREY Area
Possibly my favourite release from the entire bunch. Little Simz has done it again. It's no secret how much I admire Simbi and her work and she's not only tweaked and re-invented her sound on this album; she's done it with a confidence and flair that you only really expect from older more seasoned icons. However, that's exactly what Simz has set herself up to be with this album, an icon.


SHINGAI - Coming Home 
Speaking of icons, the legendary Shingai Shoniwa, previously lead singer of The Noisettes, is back to bless our eardrums again with her powerful vocals. Her latest single before her EP release later this year touches back into her Zimbabwean roots with a catchy and uplifting message that you will without a doubt be singing long after your first listen. She has most definitely, still got it.



SOLANGE - When I Get Home 
Of course! The most anticipated album out of the entire bunch. I have been waiting for this album to be in my life ever since the already classic A Seat At The Table. I must say, I was expecting to be more enamoured with the album after first listen but since listening back several times there are definitely a number of shining moments throughout. This is a beautiful and artistic piece of work.


SZJERDENE - Restart
Another name that I hadn't heard from in a while. Since finding out about Szjerdene's voice from Bonobo's brilliant The North Borders I've kept an ear out for what she might have up her sleeve next. After a few singles here and there we have her latest single "Restart", before the promise of a new EP.  Since listening in, I confidently say that I am going to love this EP.



This is nowhere near all of noteworthy music that I've heard from and featuring womxn this year so far and nowhere near the amount that I expect to hear moving forward. Keep an ear to the ground for more to come as the months go on. Celebrate womxn, this month, next month, and forever more. 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment