NUMBER FIVE

After catching his set at Parklife Festival last year my admiration for him has definitely grown, and since his last album it's clear that his artistry has grown too. One of the best performers I've seen in recent years and one of the most talented musicians. In at number 5 is Anderson .Paak with Oxnard.

There are so many special moments on this album and I find a new one almost every time I listen. The heavy hitters on this record for me are "Who R U?", "6 Summers", "Trippy (feat. J. Cole)" and "Cheers (feat. Q-Tip)". Over all of these though, "Tints (feat. Kendrick Lamar)" has got to be one of my favourite singles this year. The flow is incredible, the beat is so effortlessly funky, Kendrick's feature holds the song together perfectly and it harks back to an old school vibe with a more modern take.

A friend messaged me recently asking if I liked Anderson .Paak. Without even thinking I said "Yes, why?" but then he asked "As a woman, how do you feel about his content?", which made me think a little bit more. It's gotten easier to overlook questionable lyrics when they're laying between the notes of mind-blowing instrumentals, and that thought made me listen through his material to be sure. Despite his overuse of the word 'b*tch' and cheeky-verging-on-troubling quips, his goofy and endearing nature allowed me to make light of it rather than brand him as rude or reckless. Anderson's talent is undeniable and with Oxnard it's clear that he's going from strength to strength, I just wonder if he'll mature with his music.

Anderson's distinct charmingly raspy voice is noticeable anywhere and is a welcome familiarity on an album filled with so many different vibes. His major label debut has a myriad of influences flecked throughout but a little bit less of a cohesive "sound" as there was with Malibu. Although funk and jazz run heavily from beginning to end, the different hip hop influences add a very unique flavour to Anderson's repertoire. He's done a good job of expanding his view on the LA funk scene - I'm hoping he continues to expand and master his influences on his next few projects, because he most definitely has the talent to.

Have a look at what boxed its way into the number 5 spot last year here.



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment