NUMBER SIXTEEN

This next band came stomping into my life so suddenly that when I listened to the album I almost didn't have time to catch up with my feelings. The heart-racing, fist-pumping Joy as an Act of Resistance from IDLES in at number 16.  


The first thing that struck me about this album was the title. People listen to music because it makes them feel something - at least the best of it does. The title alone lit up an emotion in me and so I knew that I had to give it a chance and thank goodness I did. Anybody listening to this album for the first time is instantly carried along with the mob, being tossed and shoved every time a new track starts. 

My favourites at the moment are "Colossus", "Never Fight A Man With A Perm", "Love Song", and "Samaritans". There is rarely a moment in this album when my emotions aren't rocking and changing pace along with theirs. Joe Talbot growls along with this 12-track ripper speaking on losing his mother, having a stillborn child, cleaning up his substance abuse issues, toxic masculinity and more, all the while manifesting this heavy feeling in the pit of your stomach that stays with you after the last guitars and feedback ring out. However, in album that made me feel so much, surprisingly none of those feelings was joy. 

This album manages to capture the personal and public issues in a subtle shout that leaves lyrics like "The mask of masculinity, is a mask. A mask that's wearing me." ringing in your ears for days. IDLES are without a doubt, one of the most exciting bands that I've heard this year.

Have a look at what took the number 16 spot last year here.




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment