Gig Review: Delilah

Delilah is a British singer/songwriter - she is fantastic! haha. So on Sunday night (28/10/12) a few friends and I went to see Delilah play at Shepherds Bush EmpirE. Her support acts were Josh Kumra and Wiley.

I really really liked Josh Kumra's set. I was worried that I wouldn't, because I only knew one of his songs but I actually loved it. Also, one of the songs he played, I had heard on the radio recently and for AGES I couldn't find out what it was called or who it was by so when I heard him playing it I thought "Oh my goodness!". Anyway, he smashed his set. He also had a killer female bassist (gold stars all round for female bassists).

Then after a little while Wiley came out and hyped everyone up. His set was explosive from beginning to end. Wiley is just a funny kind of guy. He did quite a few mash ups of his songs like "Too Many Man" and "Rolex Sweep". That got everybody buzzed. Now recently I have not been pleased with Wiley because of his horrendous (but sadly addictive) song "Heatwave" so I was not looking forward to him playing that, but when he finally did of course it got the hugest reaction. People near me were going mad for this atrocious song, and sadly I found myself joining in -  something about that song is just contagious!

Anyway, after Wiley got everybody excited and swiftly left the stage at about 20:37 we were left waiting for an hour  for Delilah to come on stage which was actually quite frustrating. The crowd was getting really restless around the 45 minute mark and some fights were brewing near me. But when Delilah did finally appear none of that seemed to matter anymore. Everyone was up on their feet straight away for her opening song "Never Be Another". She looked gorgeous. She sounded flawless (topping even her album sound). The stage was pretty. All around she just made a very very good entrance.

As the gig went on she called for backing singers from the crowd and so about 12 or 13 lucky people from the crowd were called up to sing/do some actions during one of her songs. Good crowd interaction here. Then after her amazing renditions of most of the songs from her album "From The Roots Up" she ended with a cloud of glitter falling from the ceiling and a well executed last note. Then during her encore she re-appeared from the back of the room with bodyguards guiding her through the crowd as everyone was falling all over themselves just trying to touch her. She eventually hopped back on stage to sing her absolute banger of a song - Go. SMASHED IT then left swiftly.

After the gig, as my brother - Oak - is currently keyboard player, my friends and I were able to go  backstage to meet Delilah. It was lovely to meet her and she is a complete sweetheart. Perfect ending to a great night. 

Overall rating - 7.5/10

Here are some pictures from the night...







 




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment