New Discoveries: Laura Mvula

This "New Discovery" kind of crept up on me. About a month ago my friend bumped in to me and whilst chatting she quickly mentioned Laura Mvula, and made me listen to about 30 seconds of one of her tracks. I was in such a rush that I was like "hmm yeah sounds good, will do some research on her", I wrote the name down on my phone and left it at that.

After that day I'm pretty sure that I couldn't go a week without somebody mentioning her name - "Oh have you heard this new Laura Mvula track?" "Ah, Laura Mvula is so underrated" "Listen to this Laura something chick..." etc.. So FINALLY I decided to give into the hype and get a hold of her new album "Sing To The Moon". Upon first listen I found it extremely boring. In all fairness to Laura I had it on a very low volume and wasn't paying much attention to the music. After giving it another chance however, this woman may quite possibly be a genius!

Most of her tracks don't really have a beat or they sound like something is missing from them, fact of the matter is however, she definitely did not forget anything. She knows exactly what she's doing and purely for that I have to commend her because there is nobody else in the industry that I can compare her style to. Her voice however, is quite Janelle Monae-esque or possibly Shingai Shoniwa (lead singer of The Noisettes). Anyway, enough talk, music...

Laura Mvula - Green Garden


This is the song that changed it all for me. Absolute BANGER! MY GOODNESS haha, easily the best song on the album, and the video is top quality too. There's is definitely something very special and unique about Laura and I expect that this isn't the last we've heard of her. Keep your eyes and ears peeled because pretty soon she'll be playing stadiums and arenas. :)

More tracks to watch out for: "That's Alright", "She" and "Father, Father"

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment