Album Review: Paramore

Well, well, well... It's about that time. Paramore have finished streaming their entire new self-entitled album over the past four nights and boy do I have thoughts for you! This post is actually in honour of Paramore playing an intimate gig at The Garage in Highbury & Islington tonight. I tried so hard to get tickets for this gig but they sold out in 2 minutes whilst I was entering my card details :(. So instead of being bitter, sitting inside my house, wondering what could've been, I thought I'd review the album.

Now in case you haven't yet heard the album, click the links below to stream it:

PARAMORE (SIDE A)

PARAMORE (SIDE B)

PARAMORE (SIDE C)

PARAMORE (SIDE D)

 

Ok let's start at the top... "Fast In My Car" definitely does what it says on the tin. This would be a great song to listen to in your car. Upon first listen I wasn't too sure but this song is definitely a grower. The drums in the second verse are awesome - courtesy of Ilan Rubin. This is all round just a catchy, fun song. 

The next song, we've all heard - their first single "Now". I've already written about my feelings on this song so to read those just click here. Third, probably my least favourite song on the album "Grow Up". It's not necessarily a bad song, it's just not very engaging. Writing about it now I don't actually remember what it sounds like. 

"Daydreaming", now that's a quality tune. This chorus was stuck in my head for days after hearing it. Just a really enjoyable song and Hayley's vocals are second to none. I was a little skeptical of the interludes before I heard the album and it turns out, rightly so. "Interlude: Moving On" comprising of just a ukelele and Hayley's voice could easily have been done without. It just felt like the interludes were a little forced and unnecessary.

"Ain't It Fun" is another one I was nervous about. When I heard that Paramore were having a gospel choir on the album my heart rate rose a little. But thank God I was proven wrong because I actually like this song. Again, Hayley's vocals in the last minute of this song - my goodness! Brava! "Part II" just YES! This song definitely fulfilled my expectations of the sequel to "Let The Flames Begin" - one of my favourite Paramore songs ever. In the first 30 seconds of Part II, I was neither here nor there but somewhere along the line my ears were opened and I realised, "this, is a fantastic song!!". 

Part II was then followed by another fantastic song "Last Hope". This song just made me smile way too much. This is definitely one of my favourites off the album - of which there are a few. This was then followed by another single "Still Into You" which I have already written about here.

"Anklebiters" is a great song to sing along to. It also features some subtle but necessary male guest vocals. This is just a really good song. Then there's another interlude called "Holiday". Followed by what is apparently Hayley's personal favourite "Proof", a great song but not my favourite. Great song though. 

Next "Hate To See Your Heart Break" is the ballad of the album. I know that technically this song is very good, but I found it kind of boring if I'm honest. The strings on this song were really nice but it's not something that I'm going to listen to much from the album. And the next track "(One Of Those) Crazy Girls". The lyrics to this song are pretty clever/funny. The song itself isn't amazing as such but the concept is quite hilarious. Smart move Paramore, smart move.

Then another ukelele interlude "I'm Not Angry Anymore", followed by one of my favourites "Be Alone". I just love everything about this song. The message, the lyrics and the melody. This is where the album picked up a higher rating from me, and the next song is where this rating was cemented. "Future" - wow wow wow, what an awesome song! Paramore have quite a knack for good finishers and it looks like they haven't lost their touch. This song would be fantastic live too! ah! Bittersweet! 

Where the album lost some marks was where they tried to channel Alt-J and it just didn't work. The inclusion of the interludes, inspired by Alt-J, really didn't do anything for me. The only thing that worked in their favour that was originally in Alt-J's album, was the false ending. There were also some songs that weren't necessarily lyrically strong, but all in all, this was definitely a good album.

Overall Rating - 8/10

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment