New Discoveries: Trophy Wife

I really just happened upon this band by chance. A while ago I was searching things on Wikipedia and I ended up on Foals' page (as I often do). Then I decided to have a look at Yannis Philippakis' page which I hadn't actually seen before. As I was reading through his page I saw that he'd produced a track for this band and of course I had to give it a listen. Here's what I found...


From the first 5 seconds you can already hear Yannis' influence on the track. The video for this is extremely clever too. This video as I'd like to say, "black swan-ed" me - meaning that it shocked me a bit at first but after a while I was like "this is ridiculously smart!".

So after this breath of fresh air I decided to dig a little deeper and found out that Trophy Wife had previously released an EP in 2011 entitled "Bruxism". I then went to dictionary.com to find out what Bruxism meant ("the gnashing and grinding of teeth"); was intrigued and so acquired the EP.

I'd definitely give this EP a 7/10. When listening to the whole record through, "Wolf" being the last track, you can really hear the change in vibe between this track and the rest of the album. Yannis definitely put his own unique touch on this track. It's definitely one of my favourites on the EP alongside "Sleepwalks" (produced by Tracey Thorn who's worked with Delphic) and "Canopy Shade".

I'm really looking forward to hearing more stuff from Trophy Wife in the coming months because who knows? They could be the next big thing to come out of Oxford..

PS: More recently they put out this fabulous track "Heavy Touch"... Have a listen. :)

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment