One Beat Weekender Review: Saturday

Easily the tiniest festival I have ever been to - 11 acts, 1 stage, 15 pounds and less than 150 people - IT WAS BRILLIANT. I feel like after this I definitely need to start attending more intimate festivals. Although nothing will ever be able to come close to the spectacle and atmosphere that you experience at bigger festivals, seeing acts that you've looked up to for a while or have been waiting to see, on a smaller stage than even some small arenas, is a gift. So on Saturday I went to Birmingham's MAC Outdoor Arena to check out this impressive line-up...


BYRON HARE
I'd not heard of Bryon Hare before the festival and so when the six-piece stepped on stage and started performing the indie yet jazz infused tracks had me interested. Although they apologised halfway through the set for feeling "a bit fragile", they still managed to bring some energy to the stage and play a good set and it felt like an easy way to start the day - very chilled vibe.


THE JACARANDAS
It seems like it's hard to live in Birmingham and not know who Jacky P is. Hence, the reason I'd heard of his band before and had actually had a listen to their song "Get Her Off My Mind" before. However, when I heard the track on soundcloud, I wasn't impressed, but they sounded a lot better live. The lead singer's voice sounded a little weak at times but it didn't take away from the show too much. The sun even made an appearance for a bit - feel good set.

CURB
I'd actually seen Curb before here and so I was excited to see the guys again. I think that they were better the first time I saw them but they were still great this time. One thing that I can always count on to impress me is the bassist's energy - he is a battery! Also their new soundcloud track "So High" was a highlight.

JOHNNY FOREIGNER
I'd actually never heard of Johnny Foreigner before this so I wasn't sure what to expect, with the name not giving me any clues. They started off really shakily - for the first song I genuinely coudn't tell when they were tuning or playing. However, their set picked up immensely. Technical difficulties aside, they really recovered the show and impressed me. The rain was chucking it down and a lot still toughed it out to stay and watch them. Some of us even jumping and moshing a bit towards the end. They have a new fan. ALSO: their drummer - amazing.

HOOPLA BLUE
Another band I'd previously seen here but unlike Curb I actually didn't like them when I first saw them so I was a little bit skeptical of what they were going to sound like this time. When they got on stage and played their first song they actually sounded like they'd improved a bit. As before the guitarist went to tune his guitar and after getting it what seemed like tuned, they began the second song. However, less than a minute in they had to stop as the guitarist was having trouble with his guitar. After trying to get it to work and calling for a spare guitar for 10 minutes their set was called off.

THE GRAFHAM WATER SAILING CLUB
Never heard of these guys before but they had a fairly unusual set up. Their industrial rock sound was kind of hard to be engaged with and after a while I found myself dropping off to sleep behind my sunglasses. I'd love to be one of those people who could be into industrial rock and I've tried a few times but it really just isn't my cup of tea.  If it's yours though - check these guys out.

JUICE
I was first introduced to Juice when I saw Loom here and I think that I enjoyed them more at that show but they were also great this time. It was nice to see that they had a crowd that gathered and actually got off their seats to dance. Their latest single "Sugar" was a treat and a good way to end the set.


LSA
Before watching this set I'd heard that their lead singer was actually the brother of Hugo and Felix White from The Maccabees so I was expecting big things. The boys didn't let me down - their set was really good and from the looks of things pretty effortless most of the time. I'm surprised that I hadn't heard more about them before coming to the festival. Either way, hopefully I'll be hearing more from them from now on.

DUMB
Probably the most "prepared" band of the whole day. These boys came with their own printed flyers and a merch stand - there wasn't one person that day that left not knowing who they were. Put it this way, Dumb were anything but. They got the first crowd surfers of the day, brave souls being lifted by maximum 40 people above a concrete floor but everyone was in high spirits and Dumb made the most of this. Great set and great lead on to the headliners of the day.

LOS CAMPESINOS!
In honesty, Los Campesinos! were the main reason I bought a ticket to this festival. After their fifth album No Blues I decided that I had to stop messing around and just see them live. They were the best band of the day and many in the crowd were questioning why Los Campesinos! weren't headlining instead of JAWS. Crowd surfers emerging again, people on each others' shoulders, a few of us continuously hopping on stage and Tom even walking out into the crowd. They played hits from all five albums it was just brilliant. Chatting to the band afterwards was the icing on the cake - the benefit of small festivals.

JAWS
The band that most were waiting for. Just as the sun began to set, the indie boys stepped on stage to the sound of cheers and excitement. The boys played a set laden with new songs from their upcoming debut album Be Slowly, and also a few older songs that had the crowd singing along and waving their arms. Although they played an enjoyable set, I felt that they were a sort of downgrade after Los Campesinos! But either way it was definitely a lovely end to a great day of music.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment