Gig Review: Superfood

Superfood had about 5 or 6 free residencies lined up over the past month and for one reason of another I had missed all the first ones and so when it came to this final show, although it cost £5, I said that I had to go. So a few days ago (06/08/14) I headed over to Notting Hill Arts Club to see Superfood with EKKAH supporting. To tell you the truth, when it actually came down to the day I really couldn't be bothered to go but I forced myself to get on the train...

I hadn't heard of EKKAH before the gig and didn't know anything about them but I was hoping that they'd be able to get me excited to see Superfood. They started up with an upbeat electronic track but what too me aback was their choreography. As much as I wanted to hate it for being a little bit cheesy I actually really enjoyed it. Even found myself wanting to join in a couple times. Their songs overall were good - their bassist was super funky. Just an all round tight band. I really liked their last two songs "Home Alone" and "7am". A nice chilled but fun opening act.

Their resident DJ Dashy Dashy was playing tunes all night too! Half the songs I felt like he was just playing from my iTunes and the other half I felt like I wanted to put on my iTunes. New Shapes put on an awesome event, at a really cool venue. If you get a chance, check out their next event on Tuesday (12/08/14) at Notting Hill Arts Club, with Charlotte OC.

Anyway, after such a great build up, Superfood stepped on stage. They are just so effortlessly cool, both on and off-stage. Also, they so so SO much better live, it's actually not even close. Each of them are great musicians and even though I've heard quite a few similar artists, somehow this set felt quite different. Their upcoming single "Mood Bomb" was one of the best of the night, closely followed by "Bubbles". I'm so glad that I forced myself to come in the end because it should have been something that I was excited for, they killed it. Really enjoyable set and really cool band. Excited to hear a debut record from them sometime soon.

Overall Rating - 7/10


Here are some of the pictures from the night...





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment