Gig Review: Tonight Alive

FINALLY! It's actually daft how many times I've missed my chance to see this band! Literally just like with Mallory Knox, I've even met the lead singer and still somehow missed the chance to see them. I couldn't let it pass again...

First support act to the stage was Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!. I've heard the name around for a few years now so I was excited to check them out. Okay, first of all, I had no idea that they were French! It took me a long while to grasp what accent the lead singer had, all I knew is that it wasn't British. They played one of the most mixed sets I've seen in a while. The sound levels were pretty off. The drums and bass were super overpowering so the guitarists suffered for the set. Also, the lead singer struggled a little bit with crowd interaction. Despite that though, he was awesome, I really liked his vocals. However, I do wish their songs were a little less predictable. Pop punk to a tee! When he said "this last song's about friendship" I really had to hold back the laughter - it just reminded me of this. Their bassist and one of their guitarists were strangely immobile throughout the set which was sad but to be honest, the drummer, other guitarist and the lead had ample energy to get the crowd hyped up. They're definitely a band that I need to check out a bit more. Also, their cover of "All Star" was cool.

Next up, was The Summer Set. Another band that I've been hearing about for some time and again I had mixed feelings, but less about external factors this time. They were a really tight band, and were obviously all having so much fun on stage but the lead singer did seem a little posy from time to time. I can't lie, my favourite thing about them by far was their drummer, she was just a wonder to watch. However, their bassist when they covered "Sing" was insane. The crowd was so psyched for them, I will most definitely have to do some more research!

Lastly, officially the hundredth artist/band I've seen in Birmingham - Tonight Alive. So many emotions experienced in just over an hour. This show was more than worth the wait. From the moment they stepped on stage almost every other detail is blurry. They played every. single. song. that I wanted them to! I was surprised that they opened up with "The Edge" but who on earth is complaining?! A switch went off in my brain after the first note; all I was focused on for the next hour or so was the band in front of me. I think this show just reminded me just how good an album The Other Side was. Also, sold out really did mean SOLD OUT - for some time it seemed like it was too packed to even form a pit - this was eventually proven wrong. To be honest, I was surprised I still had a voice after the show, I mean just look at this setlist! I only remember three moments in the set where Jenna spoke and each time it felt like she was having a private conversation with each and every one of us, not just saying things at a mass of people. I don't know if it was the show that was special or just the band, but the vibe that evening was something else. I can't choose a favourite song of the night, they each meant something different. I just hope that this isn't the last I see of them - HUGE HUGE talent!

Overall Rating - 9/10


Here are some pictures from the night...





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment